• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Or should all of the people who treat and care for us do it just for love??
Ridiculous comment.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Strip out London and parts of the south east and Devon isn't any lower than many areas in terms of pay.

The average property prices in some areas are double those in Devon whilst other areas have lower property prices.

300k generally buys you a sheet hole in London.

Is your life a permanent sob story 2k?
On your own quoted figures the average wage in Devon is around £27k. A quick check on moneyfacts suggests that the most you would be likely to get on a mortgage is around £121k. Even with a couple each on that salary the available funds fall well short of your hypothetical £300k property.

Oh, and thanks for your "concern" by the way but there is no way my life is a "perpetual sob story". I'm quite a happy chap most of the time. it's only injustice that rattles my cage. :p

Legohead

Banned
Fair enough Lego but £24k is still well below the UK average wage of £31.5k. And that for a job that requires in most cases, even at entry level, completion of a university degree course.

I sympathise with your partner's position (which is barely the minimum wage for a 40 hour week) but that is also surely something between them and their employer.

"Sweatshop" wages and exploitation - or compulsion - of employees goodwill regards to low pay and excessive hours is and long has been, IMHO, a national scandal but one which (I fear) is not likely to be addressed in this "brave new world" of the gig economy.
This average wage thing is nonsense. Nobody i know earns anywhere near 31.5k a year. The closest will be my partners brother who works for the Environment Agency and he's on about 26k. Most people don't earn anywhere near 31.5 k and even people with degrees are working in low paid jobs other than nursing. I think that nurses don't have it bad really although no question they should be on more IMO.

Rosencrantz

I have read that a starting salary for the lowest band nurse is 24k. If this is correct then it's far more than my key worker partner gets for often doing hours of unpaid overtime in animal rescue. My partner is on about 18k a year, works every other weekend plus Christmas every year and does many hours overtime that is unpaid.

Nurses deserve more than 1% which is clearly derisory, but if this is true and they start at 24k then they are lucky to be in such a fortunate position compared to many others in society and if they strike that means more waiting in pain for patients like myself who have been waiting patiently for far longer than is acceptable for treatment.
It seems a fair proportion of NHS staff put in unpaid overtime.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/883433/nhs-england-staff-working-extra-unpaid-hours/

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’d be very happy with a 1% payrise this year given the economic climate. But I’m most likely to get a big fat zero. Despite having also worked right through since March last year and home schooled my kids at the same time. And I’m a lucky one who kept my job.

I fear the unions and shouty types really ought to get their heads out of their arses and take a look at the real world before they deride their 1% offer and come out with such nonsense as 12.5%.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
On your own quoted figures the average wage in Devon is around £27k. A quick check on moneyfacts suggests that the most you would be likely to get on a mortgage is around £121k. Even with a couple each on that salary the available funds fall well short of your hypothetical £300k property.
My 300k comment was relative to London property.

You can purchase a starter home in most parts of Devon for 200 - 250k, also have you ever heard of saving for a deposit ??

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’d be very happy with a 1% payrise this year given the economic climate. But I’m most likely to get a big fat zero. Despite having also worked right through since March last year and home schooled my kids at the same time. And I’m a lucky one who kept my job.

I fear the unions and shouty types really ought to get their heads out of their arses and take a look at the real world before they deride their 1% offer and come out with such nonsense as 12.5%.
Careful, 2k will break his armchair reading that.

Alistair20000

My 300k comment was relative to London property.

You can purchase a starter home in most parts of Devon for 200 - 250k, also have you ever heard of saving for a deposit ??
5% deposit and 95% government guaranteed mortgage scheme announced by The Dish this week.

£10,000 to £12,500 deposit to save up on these Devon house price figures.

None of this applied when this particular old fart saved up for his first house. A bit of sacrifice and assiduous saving needed.

Grecian2K

Careful, 2k will break his armchair reading that.
Don't worry Chappie. My armchair has withstood far more than you can throw at it. Anyhow, I'll sign off now and just sit back in it smugly and relax, counting my triple-locked pension! 💰 :p
Good night.

iscalad

I wonder however I managed when the most I earned in a year was £18,000. And for very few of the nigh on 50 years I worked. I didn't realise there were so many rich barstewards in Devon.