• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

lamrobhero

meanwhile here is comment on an issue that is important to some

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
meanwhile here is comment on an issue that is important to some

"Perpetual outrage machine" "these other people don't share your values"...

The modern conservative party and its fellow travellers in a nutshell

tavyred

Agree which is why if they said that investment is going to be targeted at areas that meet a set of criteria, and the info was published, then some of the heat could be taken out of it. You can then argue about the criteria chosen but not that they havent been correctly applied.

Its the obfuscation about all these things that causes the problem and gives grist to the mill that there is something "dodgy" going on.
Fair enough.
It’s just rather typical the moment they splash the cash away from the traditional areas of need, the Guardian and its acolytes on the left cry foul.
If I were a former Labour voter in a former red wall seat, I’d be thinking what do these people have against me having a bit more cash spent on me and family.

Mr Jinx

Starmer out.
I see yesterday that Starmer continued with the next chapter of Becoming Boris and was seen out and about in a high vis jacket.

If he continues down that road, at some point he'll just vanish.

Alistair20000

I see yesterday that Starmer continued with the next chapter of Becoming Boris and was seen out and about in a high vis jacket.

If he continues down that road, at some point he'll just vanish.
I wonder if m‘ learned friend has considered a bit of extra marital infidelity ? Maybe that will be his nuclear option.

Mr Jinx

I see that in the absence of Cummings and the realisation from the Left that Dom wasn't actually running everything, they're now gunning for Lord Frost.

The new boogeyman in town apparently.

IndoMike

On the 'levelling up' pot, clearly not a good look. Much greater transparency is needed as to how the areas were chosen. Lots of places have MP's from both parties and also the old adage of rich area = Tory, poor = Labour no longer follows by rote.

A lot of Labour seats in London and they can't exactly spent levelling up cash in Hampstead and Islington.

On the face of it though it stinks, none more so than "Castle Jenrick" in Newark that has has a bung, sorry, a grant
I'm afraid some members of the current government are suffering from a huge dose of arrogance mixed with a sense of entitlement and infallibility. Sone of them are getting away with blue murder : they know Johnson us too weak.
Hancock "I have a drink at his pub quite often and we're mates, but that didn't influence my decision at all in awarding him a 40 million quid contract to produce a product which he has no experience of and only a shed on a farm to make it in"
Jenrick : "Well, yes we have met before even though I denied it last week but the fact that I rushed through the permission for him to build his apartment blocks against the wishes of the local council and that he is a Tory sponsor did not influence my decision".

Hancock & Jenrick :
"Everything has been done in the best possible taste. Anyone who suggests we are bent as a boomerang is totally wrong, but even if we are, there's fark all you peasants can do about it"

IndoMike

Fair enough.
It’s just rather typical the moment they splash the cash away from the traditional areas of need, the Guardian and its acolytes on the left cry foul.
If I were a former Labour voter in a former red wall seat, I’d be thinking what do these people have against me having a bit more cash spent on me and family.
Analysis by The Times reveals the extent to which money has been directed towards wealthier areas that are marginal Conservative-held or target seats. In

Are you going to place the Times on the same list as the Guardian now simply because it scrutinises a very dodgy Govt

Grecian2K

The fact that only Mad Nad could be dragged in front of the cameras to try to defend the indefensible says it all, really.
We would love to do more on NHS pay, says minister
BBCCopyright: BBC
Health minister Nadine Dorries has defended the government’s recommendation of a 1% pay increase for NHS staff in England, saying it is all the country can afford in the midst of the pandemic.
“Every one of us absolutely appreciates and is grateful for the efforts of nurses and all members of NHS staff over the past year,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.
“We would love to do more but at this present point in time it’s been fighting the pandemic for the past year which has been a priority and now it’s about saving people’s jobs and livelihoods moving forward.”
She added that over the past three years nurses had received a 12% pay rise and there was a pay freeze for all other public sector workers outside the NHS.
Asked during an interview with BBC Breakfast her reaction to the pay recommendation, Dorries said she was "pleasantly surprised" in the context of the pay freeze for other public sector workers and job losses in the private sector.
Article share tools
Still, quite revealing that she is "pleasantly surprised" at an effective pay-cut for those who have spend the past year in the front line of the battle against Covid.
Says it all really
#typicallyarrogantTories

IndoMike

I think we need to harken back to the comments of Liz Truss a couple months back, where she suggested that inner city areas and certain towns have tended to be the recipient of large amounts of Government assistance simply because they might be home to communities that have long established powerful advocates and already have existing pathways to extra funding.
It is no secret (and actual policy) that this Government is seeking to equalise funding for the forgotten white working class areas of England and looking at the areas in the Guardian link that are benefiting, that seems to be what is happening here with this extra funding.
Seeing how there is no suggestion I think that money is being diverted away from anywhere else, what is the problem here?
Don’t ordinary white folks need help too? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Of course, you would bring race into it. It's not about race. It's about wealth and about the Tories dishing out wads of money to marginal or targeted seats. I guess that's just a coincidence.
This Govt is more slippery than any other Govt I can ever remember. Trump Mark II.