• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Walsall Matchday Thread

Legohead

Banned
Against a side with no clean sheets in 19 before tonight and having complete control of the game. Were we peppering their goal with shots? Were their defenders scrambling around for last ditch tackles? Were we launching dangerous balls into the penalty area on a regular basis? Was their keeper the hero of the night with a string of outstanding saves? Did the players rectify the powder puff, toothless loss to Crawley tonight?

The answer to all is no. Answers on a postcard please MT.

Ex-ciderrr

People saying Seymour looked decent tonight ??

He looked like a 16 year old out there.
He reminds me of small kids playing football, just running around chasing a ball aimlessly on a pitch in a huddle to no avail.

I can’t knock him for effort, he’s a strong runner, and like I mention at HT, despite being a small player you can cleverly hold to ball up with intelligence and on a couple of occasions in the 2nd half he did that and popped a couple of passes off but he literally, like In almost every appearance for us had no effect on the game whatsoever.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
He reminds me of small kids playing football, just running around chasing a ball aimlessly on a pitch in a huddle to no avail.

I can’t knock him for effort, he’s a strong runner, and like I mention at HT, despite being a small player you can cleverly hold to ball up with intelligence and on a couple of occasions in the 2nd half he did that and popped a couple of passes off but he literally, like In almost every appearance for us had no effect on the game whatsoever.
I thought he held the ball up well today and had a decent game. The problem was with the lack of quality that we were showing in and around the box.

Ex-ciderrr

I saw at least 3 City players standing offside just before the kick was taken. I assumed this was a cunning plan and they'd move back just as the kick was being taken, but they didn't. Nothing unfortunate about it - just incompetent
Yes he was offside I fully have to agree with the decision.

what amused me was the fact it was Mcardle who was the quickest person in the box out of all our players to read the cross, react and finish well from what was a lovely ball into the box by MJ. Just a shame it was offside.

forwards, take finishing lessons from him ;)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let’s look at the positives:

- clean sheet
- good performance from hartridge
- gained a point on Carlisle, Cambridge, Forest Green and Newport
- Seymour showed some ability, with terrible service
- Jokull’s kicking was pretty much perfect, no dodgy kicks at all
- that’s it I think

We need a win against Orient.
- Page played 90 minutes without snapping his hamstring
- Big Nige won the audition to play the camel at next year's Nativity play
- We could be Walsall fans
- Bowman is back on Saturday, rested.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Painful stuff to watch tonight.

Obviously we dominated possession but there's some big issues there.

Seymour isn't of the standard required.

We massively lack creativity behind Jay in midfield, to lose Law is going to be big, he got us out of a hole more than once this season. The Archie/Jake combo is fine, but struggles to create meaningful chances.

Our lack of quality up front is going to cost us autos. That Ajose wasn't even on the bench during this period without Bowman is criminal. He would have put that chance that Seymour had on a plate from MJ away. Fisher is *****, but even so 3 minutes isn't enough time for him to make an impact.

Substitutions awful - Atangana for Taylor? Why? Taylor, despite lack of creativity had a good game tonight, we needed our captain out there not sloppy Nigel. You could tell JT was annoyed and I don't blame him. Fisher for Wilmott? What? Who was going to deliver balls in at that point?

Rubbish, Walsall were on the beach and the game was there for the taking. Had enough of this stupidly patchy form. We all know play offs are pointless with the mentality of the club.

Grecian Max

I thought he held the ball up well today and had a decent game. The problem was with the lack of quality that we were showing in and around the box.
More like the lack of quality he showed in and around the box. Absolutely spooning it with his left when Jay was a sensible option of missing a sitter from an exquisite ball from MJ.

Ex-ciderrr

yeah fair play the couple of times he held the ball up, if your clever as a small player it’s possible (y)

But imo, he had far from a decent game. However I respect your views and your opinion regards his performance, as we all know footballs just game of opinions. :)

UTC

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rubbish, Walsall were on the beach and the game was there for the taking.
The pitch isn't good at the moment but a beach is probably a tad harsh

fred binneys head

Sparkes is going backwards big time.

Shame as I think he has some quality.

Playing him on the right is a farce.
That’s because he should be playing as a full back, not a winger. Same for Josh Key, who also looked suspect when played further up. They might have been good enough to do that as kids, but not in the adult game just yet.