• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rest of the season for City is here (pages under construction)
Interesting looking at the D&E Premier Division. Crediton finsihed four points clear of City despite dropping four points to City. Trevor Atkins wouldn't have been pleased about that.

Oldsmobile-88

30th November 1985.
Darren Gale scoring a double,repeating the feat he did against Cardiff in the FAC at SJP a couple of weeks before.
That was about as good as it got for the Welshman,he left the following September after failing to shake off a long term injury.
E6F965A5-7704-4ABD-ABD9-94B8D56B4C27.jpegAD0A7F61-5A3D-44E9-B1A1-51CB7D5D41E4.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

Some poor crowds inc SJP(both of them)
14,000 at Villa Park & Just cropped off at the top of the photo 16,000 at Highbury.

Oldsmobile-88

League tables 3/3/1979.
09952AF6-EAA0-4F5A-B7BC-87C361C34E7A.jpeg

Tim Long

18th October 1986.
The unbeaten start continues with another draw on the road.
The supporters coach stopped off at a pub in Ross-on-Wye on the way up I seem to recall.
View attachment 5512
The thing I most vividly remember about that game was late on when the ref gave Hereford a corner when the linesman was flagging for offside. I tried shouting to draw the ref's attention - probably not the only one - but was near the back and even my voice couldn't carry that far (my nephew took the **** out of me for cupping my hands to my mouth in an effort to direct the sound). However, a few voices then became tens and possibly hundreds and Keith Viney at the near post waiting for the corner to be taken, turned to see many fans pointing at the lino and pointed it out to the ref. Viney gave the away end a thumbs up. Was this the record equalling game ?

Oldsmobile-88

The thing I most vividly remember about that game was late on when the ref gave Hereford a corner when the linesman was flagging for offside. I tried shouting to draw the ref's attention - probably not the only one - but was near the back and even my voice couldn't carry that far (my nephew took the **** out of me for cupping my hands to my mouth in an effort to direct the sound). However, a few voices then became tens and possibly hundreds and Keith Viney at the near post waiting for the corner to be taken, turned to see many fans pointing at the lino and pointed it out to the ref. Viney gave the away end a thumbs up. Was this the record equalling game ?
It was the record equalling game I seem to recall...The club gave the players a inscribed Tankard(I think I can guess where they came from 😁)after the run was over a couple games later.

Tim Long

It was the record equalling game I seem to recall...The club gave the players a inscribed Tankard(I think I can guess where they came from 😁)after the run was over a couple games later.
... Are we allowed to mention the tankards ? It's long enough ago to be a 'spent conviction', I suppose.

Oldsmobile-88

January 1978.The Grecians played Wolverhampton Wanderers 8 times from 1973 to 1988.This day was the closest the Grecians have been to beating them.

Just checking the records I had forgotten that the Grecians played Wolves in the Freight Rover Trophy on 14/1/86 drew 1-1 infront of 1,278 a good crowd in the context of that season & today in its present incarnation.No one would have dreamed that a famous club like Wolves would be playing the Grecians in a competition for 3rd & 4th Division teams only 8 years later or that Wolves would be in the 4th Division.
21DC1434-3C1F-47E8-BBEF-F0B6C5B83E54.jpeg