• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Archie Collins

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Collins is an understated player, who doesn't always get the recognition he deserves.
I make you right on that. His role is one that can be easily overlooked until it's not being done.

Grecianpasty

Liam was playing regularly in League 1 at a younger age than Archie is now but never kicked on to play at a higher level. Going to see how Archie progresses and hopefully he can go on to have a better career than Liam.
For me you could see what Sercombe was lacking - never settling in a position damaged his growth. He seemed light weight and would shy away from tackles. He relied on more experienced players to help him through games.

Whereas with Collins he's a more completed midfielder. You could argue that his height has hindered him on occasions, but he seems to have adapted to league Two football better this year. Similarly to Jay.

Not on the same level as Grimes, but if he can improve on his range of passing it would greatly improve his game. It was almost innate with Grimes. He would pick out a cross field ball with ease at such a young age.

If I where Collins I'd be looking at aspiring to someone like Grimes.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
He is doing well. Still a bit over-cautious for my preference, too many circular motions on the ball, and often looks down at the ball rather than up for the colleague, through the awful winter pitches everywhere don't help. Back to his best after a period before Xmas when he was below par.

Personally I'm agnostic as to whether he will make it higher than L1; it took Grimes 4 or 5 years to be a Championship standard player, it's a big jump that Wheeler has made (just) but Sercs and Harley didn't. Hope this is pessimistic, time will tell.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
He is doing well. Still a bit over-cautious for my preference, too many circular motions on the ball, and often looks down at the ball rather than up for the colleague, through the awful winter pitches everywhere don't help. Back to his best after a period before Xmas when he was below par.

Personally I'm agnostic as to whether he will make it higher than L1; it took Grimes 4 or 5 years to be a Championship standard player, it's a big jump that Wheeler has made (just) but Sercs and Harley didn't. Hope this is pessimistic, time will tell.
I had a similar view to this until recently. I have changed by view in light of feedback I have heard from a talent scout who has been very complimentary to Archie. Fingers crossed we can keep hold of him just a little longer.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

A move to a top end League One club could be a good step up. David Wheeler finally got a proper chance in the Championship after winning promotion from League 1 and hopefully the same will turn out to be true for Christy Pym. Jayden Stockley also seems to be doing well in a struggling side so will be interesting to see what he does next.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I had a similar view to this until recently. I have changed by view in light of feedback I have heard from a talent scout who has been very complimentary to Archie. Fingers crossed we can keep hold of him just a little longer.
While it's always disappointing when youngsters move on and we don't get to watch them anymore, Archie has earned the chance to test himself at a higher level; and if he does move it will just mean more opportunity for Harry Kite and Will Dean next season.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Archie is already Championship level. We have other players with promise of playing at that level but he's the only one who would handle it. He's been given the hardest job on the field at 21 years old and most games comes through with flying colours. Every time he gets the ball he's in the most concentrated part of the pitch. Rarely gives it away and often opens up play. Playing with better players and therefore more passing options he'd look even better. His defensive work is becoming more aware by the game, and now that the defence in general seems better organised he's finding how to be useful in front of it. Last night he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch despite a fantastic performance from Josh Key. One of my favourite moments of the game was when he spotted a run from Seymour across the box and played it to feet to the striker who immediately brought Randall in on the left. It was pure City academy as a move and looked like another universe from League Two. Sometimes watching this team is delightful and if this group of players has to break up at the end of the season we'll miss this. We've had off nights this season but overall this has been my most enjoyable iFollow season so far since I started watching every game in the summer of 2017, and I'd pick out Archie as the player who at present is the most ready to move to a higher league.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
While it's always disappointing when youngsters move on and we don't get to watch them anymore, Archie has earned the chance to test himself at a higher level; and if he does move it will just mean more opportunity for Harry Kite and Will Dean next season.
True. This makes us the Club we are.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Archie is already Championship level.
🤣

Talk about getting carried away, he's nowhere near.

He's done a good job for us however he isn't good enough to be anywhere near championship level at the moment.

Championship football is a world away from league 2.

Last edited:

tonykellowfan

I'm a big fan of Collins, he has been one of our best players this season along with Jay and Randall.

However I don't think he is Championship standard yet, I hope that we go up so that he can play in L1 next season and continue to improve with us.