• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Colchester United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

JCWhoosh

Every player has a weakness that needs to be worked on to improve. MT has already said it is the kicking. He will become better with age, experience and practise. He is a goalkeeper after all. A lot if work has been done already on hands and positioning which us a major plus.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree. We were all exasperated by the wayward kicking of Paul Jones, some saw it as a major flaw. Yet when he came back, playing I think for Pompie, his kicking was the strongest part of his game, (Still couldn't hanjdle a cross though!)
It's not that difficult to run up and kick a ball. Maybe he's not watching the ball when he kicks, or his timing is a bit off. If he practises a lot he should be ok.

andrew p long

It's not that difficult to run up and kick a ball. Maybe he's not watching the ball when he kicks, or his timing is a bit off. If he practises a lot he should be ok.
(perhaps this should be on the Jokull thread) but..

it seems to me that he takes too short a run up and often hasn't quite sorted his legs out for maximum effect when he strikes the ball. (But I'm no expert either on goalkeeping or kicking the ball)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He did say in an interview that he needs to improve his kicking

IndoMike

(perhaps this should be on the Jokull thread) but..

it seems to me that he takes too short a run up and often hasn't quite sorted his legs out for maximum effect when he strikes the ball. (But I'm no expert either on goalkeeping or kicking the ball)
He's only got 2 legs : you'd think he could sort them out 😉
You could be right about the run-up, but I:m no expert on goalkeeping either. I just know that at his age any bad keeper habits can be treated.

iscalad

Pete is in his 80s but has the mental age of around 7.
That's not very nice.

budegrecian

......Having said that, as far as Reading are concerned his kicking is so crap that he'll never make it in football, get rid!
I know this is said in jest but: His kicking will no doubt improve over time, but it would be a risk for a Championship side to play him for a year or so, where poor clearances can be ruthlessly punished. Less so at our level.
Even allowing for his kicking to improve, he is unlikely to develop the ball skills needed to become a 'sweeper keeper' that the top teams now require. That may possibly work in our favour, where that necessity isn't so great.

OmanGrecian

Alistair20000

arthur

Tisdale to Colchester ?
A mere three hour commute...