• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Colchester United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are blessed with a very good manager
I totally agree but it's not that long ago that we lost two games in a row against promotion contenders and there were lots on here questioning our manager!

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have 2 games a week for pretty much the rest of the season and neither Key nor Caprice will be able to play every minute of every game so we just rest and rotate to keep them fresh.
In terms of distances covered I doubt any other of our players (maybe centre mids) cover as much ground as our full backs and that will be true of many teams nowadays. It's no surprise that most of our rotation has come at full back.

haka

Colchester have sacked their manager Steve Ball
Whatever happened to "getting sacked in the morning"? I blame these earlier kick-offs, if it was 7.45 he could have gone straight to bed and switched off his phone.

IndoMike

I think it can be coached,
Andresson kicking is concerning as its suggests hes not a natural footballer and the modern day keeper needs to be good with his feet. I know he's only 19 but I'm not sure if kicking the ball cleanly is something that can be coached into a player.

As soon as it inevitably costs a goal or 2 in a game then people will really start to question him. Its ashame as it appears all the other aspects of his game are as good as we've had in a long time in a keeper.
I think it can be coached, Snoop. Must be something about his technique which must be identified and improved. I remember a few weeks ago keeper Allison blundered twice with his kicking which led to two goals against. Imo it's a smallish problem but which can lead to trouble occasionally if not corrected

PeteUSA

Andresson kicking is concerning as its suggests hes not a natural footballer and the modern day keeper needs to be good with his feet. I know he's only 19 but I'm not sure if kicking the ball cleanly is something that can be coached into a player.

As soon as it inevitably costs a goal or 2 in a game then people will really start to question him. Its ashame as it appears all the other aspects of his game are as good as we've had in a long time in a keeper.

I agree about the first paragraph. Nobody can coach a goalkeeper to kick a ball properly. Either he can kick a ball comfortably, or he cant. Its not something he can learn. The obvious fact is that he's totally left footed, and in last nights game he couldnt relay very well on that one! He was lucky not to get punished twice with clearances that wound up at the feet of opposition players. Luckily they weren't expecting that kind of gift! Andresson's command of the goal area is outstanding, better than Ward or Maxted. We can only hope this kicking issue is going to work out eventually.

Albumen

I agree about the first paragraph. Nobody can coach a goalkeeper to kick a ball properly. Either he can kick a ball comfortably, or he cant. Its not something he can learn. The obvious fact is that he's totally left footed, and in last nights game he couldnt relay very well on that one! He was lucky not to get punished twice with clearances that wound up at the feet of opposition players. Luckily they weren't expecting that kind of gift! Andresson's command of the goal area is outstanding, better than Ward or Maxted. We can only hope this kicking issue is going to work out eventually.
Have I misunderstood you here? Of course you can be taught to kick better. The brain continues to build synaptic pathways (just read the talent code (smug person - ha) brilliant book) until youre at least 40. How old are you, Pete?😜. Absolutely no reason why this lad can’t learn to drill a ball properly. Really isn’t hard for someone with his natural abilities.

You’re right on his command of the area; Absolute superstar.

fred binneys head

fred binneys head

I know he's only 19 but I'm not sure if kicking the ball cleanly is something that can be coached into a player.
It can be coached, and it needs to be. He can clearly do it, he just needs to be consistent with it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

Pete Martin (CTID)

How very strange then that, when Artur Krysiak first joined us, he kicked the ball into touch more often than not and, by the time he left us he hardly ever did.

Jökull, in a recent interview, openly admitted his kicking needs work and made it pretty clear he was planning to work on it.

The question, in any event, is, which is worse, a keeper whose kicking is a bit dodgy, or a keeper whose goalkeeping is a bit dodgy? 🤔