• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Tisdale - Ex-Bristol Rovers Manager to Col Utd now Stevenage

StudentGrecian

We all knew this thread would descend into same boring arguments we’ve been having for years.
Time you boys stop trying to convince each other your view of Tis’s tenure is the correct one. You’ve been trying for 2/3 years and haven’t got anywhere.

I’m all for the threads on him if he is mentioning us in the press, trying to take all the credit for our academy ect. But I don’t come on here to read up on how Bristol Rovers have been getting on every week.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
But I don’t come on here to read up on how Bristol Rovers have been getting on every week.
Don't come on the thread then !

The thread title gives a clue.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
"I don’t come on here to read up on how Bristol Rovers have been getting on every week."

Also StudentGrecian:

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
FFS get it right, he only ever equalled our highest ever finish in Division 3, achieved by Brian Godfrey in 1979-80. The previous season we had finished 9th, and the following season we finished 11th and also reached the the last eight of the FA Cup. Don't get suckered in by inflated claims propagated by Tis to massage his own ego. Yes he did get back to back promotions and deserves the credit for that, but Godfrey reigns supreme in terms of consistency. Tis only equalled it by massive overspending which nearly bankrupted the club again, and had us back to League 2 in next to no time.
Overspending was the fault of those who allowed it. Football managers always overspend if allowed. Matt Taylor is no different.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Tisdale did a good job getting us into league one there is no doubt, he built on the good work from Dolan and inglethorpe in the aftermath of our relegation to non league. Once in league one looking back there were some warning signs. During that first season we had some rocky patches during the second half which was where I remember the strange interviews starting to become noticeable, we thankfully survived close to the wire with harley‘s late goal on the final day and then had the very good second season.

The rolling contract was naive and short sighted, and unfortunately once it became a millstone around our necks it needed action. The league one relegation season was a train wreck with extremely poor recruitment and negative tactics. Once back in league two we hit upon a style which was successful away but didn’t work at home. Over many years arguments raged on Exeweb where lots of posters insisted it was quite reasonable that we werent able to win many home games. I am really proud of backing the motion to get the notice served, and firmly believe it helped the performance on the pitch improve. the Last couple of season saw some high points and I would have loved to see us go up , but in the long run change was needed I think the club is so much better now Matt Taylor is in charge.

He isn’t perfect but I love his interviews. Week after week I would listen with friends to Tisdale interviews often giving a contrary view of games I had just watched. In the last couple of seasons there have been some disappointing displays but you get a refreshing honesty from the post match interview now. Hopefully we can push on and get promotion, but it’s great to see that all the fears are “be careful what you wish for“ were unfounded. It’s clear now that winning regularly at home is a problem which can be solved, and I am confident that whenever Matt Taylor moved onto another job he will be welcomed back by the majority.

I don’t think city fans will ever agree fully over Tisdale.

geoffwp

I still have a large picture of Tiz on my wall and I blow him a kiss every night. He is god of course and anyone says different just knows nothing about football. 😎😁

tavyred

More than one Rovers fan now asking the question, if Tis was so good at Exeter why did a fair percentage of our fanbase celebrate him leaving?
I always feel with Tis that there is the positive media perception of him as a manager, which gives club owners the almost easy pick for him to be become their manager, but sooner or later there is a dawning reality that he’s not worthy of the media hype he still enjoys for some reason.

tonykellowfan

I think most people are agreed about Tisdale - he was good at the start and then got steadily worse.

In my view by the end he appeared to have lost the plot, he seemed to hate the club and hate the fans. I was glad when he left.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A very good summary:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I always feel with Tis that there is the positive media perception of him as a manager, which gives club owners the almost easy pick for him to be become their manager, but sooner or later there is a dawning reality that he’s not worthy of the media hype he still enjoys for some reason.
That is correct, a lot of the media comments about Tisdale are based on little more than what he did years ago and a few myths.

One of the main examples would be that his teams play attractive football, most of us know that is often not the case.

The Bristol Rovers board on appointing him made a big play on this, i.e. Tisdale's brings a attractive, attacking style of play.

Look at the Rovers forum now, it is the same old issues, negative football, six defenders, one up front, players being played out of position etc etc. It's all very predictable.