• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Rumours 2020/21

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would love it, but even if Preston pay a good chunk of his wages we wouldn't be able to afford him. Harry Smith would be a good signing, but as mentioned elsewhere he seems to be heading Tis' way.
Fan fund? £7k a week is it. So £150k to end of season say
4,000 city fans cough up £20 each, cost of attending 1 game
Club matches it

Job's a good 'un. L1 here we come

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Turns out we did enquire about Stockley then.
Where did you find that info?

Redarrow

Maybe a bit too old , but might do for us on a year’s contract.
Yes that’s true he is a bit on the older side, I’m just surprised he has been out of contract since July last year with the pedigree he has, may be a nightmare to manage I suppose but either way he scored plenty wherever he has played.

Grecian Max

Where did you find that info?
In the Echo

"We have to be realistic, but we have spoken to Preston and we couldn’t get close to what their wage demands would be, even for a loan fee, let alone a permanent and I think Jayden will either go to a club in League Two that can pay astronomical money, or he will go to a big League One club where there is finances," Taylor said. "If not, he will stay in the Championship.

“He’s earnt that contract at Championship level and that is a different level to what we are at, I’m afraid. But we would all love to bring Jayden Stockley back.

“In terms of his career, I don’t want to see him play in League Two and I certainly don’t want to see him play in League Two unless it is with ourselves because he’s a player of a higher calibre and he’s earnt the right to play at a higher level.

“With Ched Evans going in at Preston, he has been made available but, as much as we would love to do that, we have to be realistic in terms of what we can achieve at Exeter City.”

Andy_H

Ishmael Miller would be a decent signing, free agent and is big, powerful and knows where the net is
All the grounds staff 'know where the net is'!

jimbo-gould

Ishmael Miller would be a decent signing, free agent and is big, powerful and knows where the net is
Does he? Never scored double digits for any club he’s been at according to wiki.

The deluder

Does he? Never scored double digits for any club he’s been at according to wiki.
Please no. Probably worse than Ajose.

Banksy

In the Echo

"We have to be realistic, but we have spoken to Preston and we couldn’t get close to what their wage demands would be, even for a loan fee, let alone a permanent and I think Jayden will either go to a club in League Two that can pay astronomical money, or he will go to a big League One club where there is finances," Taylor said. "If not, he will stay in the Championship.

“He’s earnt that contract at Championship level and that is a different level to what we are at, I’m afraid. But we would all love to bring Jayden Stockley back.

“In terms of his career, I don’t want to see him play in League Two and I certainly don’t want to see him play in League Two unless it is with ourselves because he’s a player of a higher calibre and he’s earnt the right to play at a higher level.

“With Ched Evans going in at Preston, he has been made available but, as much as we would love to do that, we have to be realistic in terms of what we can achieve at Exeter City.”
Ah , thanks for that.

Red Bill

In the Echo

I dont really agree with Matt Taylor. Although I loved Stockley when he was here and would agree that his performance with us earned him his chance at championship level, his record since being at Preston doesn't suggest he's earn the right to continue at that level as he doesn't appear to have taken that chance. We might have a slightly rose tinted view of him, but for anyone looking from the outside, his record makes him a real risk for a championship club and i'm not too sure there'll be many takers at that level. £7000 a week is nearly a quater of a L2 clubs annual budget and nearly 15% of a L1 club. Ok it's only for half a season, but at this stage who has that much of their budget left? It makes him a serious risk at any level in the current climate.
I think Preston may be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they stick to asking another club to cover all his wages. They have a player who isn't going to play another game for the rest of the season wile they cover all his wages and no one else gets to see what he's about enough to take a punt on a player who's only excelled at L2 before.

Rosencrantz

I dont really agree with Matt Taylor. Although I loved Stockley when he was here and would agree that his performance with us earned him his chance at championship level, his record since being at Preston doesn't suggest he's earn the right to continue at that level as he doesn't appear to have taken that chance. We might have a slightly rose tinted view of him, but for anyone looking from the outside, his record makes him a real risk for a championship club and i'm not too sure there'll be many takers at that level. £7000 a week is nearly a quater of a L2 clubs annual budget and nearly 15% of a L1 club. Ok it's only for half a season, but at this stage who has that much of their budget left? It makes him a serious risk at any level in the current climate.
I think Preston may be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they stick to asking another club to cover all his wages. They have a player who isn't going to play another game for the rest of the season wile they cover all his wages and no one else gets to see what he's about enough to take a punt on a player who's only excelled at L2 before.
Matt said Jayden has "earnt the right to play at a higher level" than L2. Whether that is another Championship side who think Jayden suits them more than PNE or a L1 side who have room in their budget remains to be seen. As you say, Jayden excelled in L2. That suggests that he can play higher. Doesn't always happen of course. But I would agree with Matt that if Jayden ends up in L2, I would much rather it was with us!