• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harrogate v Exeter City Matchday Thread (7pm kick off)

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
P.S If we do finish mid table or below , will Taylor’s contract be reviewed I wonder or will even that be considered a success in the current climate?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure about that. If you win [all] your home games and average two points a game you'll finish the season in the top three.
No one has ever done that. So you need more than a point a game away to be promoted.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
P.S If we do finish mid table or below , will Taylor’s contract be reviewed I wonder or will even that be considered a success in the current climate?
We've lost 4 games out of 21. If we finish below mid-table I'll shout "I love Plymouth Argyle" at the top of my voice on Cathedral Green next time I visit Exeter.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've lost 4 games out of 21. If we finish below mid-table I'll shout "I love Plymouth Argyle" at the top of my voice on Cathedral Green next time I visit Exeter.
Risky. If we continue on current form we will indeed risk finishing below mid-table (14th on the last 6 games 1-3-2)

And if we had drawn all our games we'd be joint 2nd bottom.

Its very hard to get fans, let alone players and coaches, to face up to the statistical truth that drawing too many games guarantees below average position and risks relegation. This has been the case ever since 3 points for a win was introduced.

Never settle for a draw. Teams have been relegated with a point a game.

Win half lose half your games - 69 points, borderline playoffs.

Draw all your games - 46 points, danger

Grecian Max

I do think it's slightly unfortunate that we've had postponements as it's meant the momentum we'd been building (the FGR game was a good match between decent sides) and positive response from Harrogate faltered but also the psychological issue of dropping to 10th whilst others played is causing some interesting reactions.

Take a step back and look at the squad and the performances they're capable of. I agree we've had too many draws but this team will not finish mid table. That is the sort of comment during a drop in form and isn't really in line with reality. As I've said before, I made use of ifollow and spare weekends to watch our competitors - they are really nothing special and some of the football has been dire. When we're on our game we're certainly the most free flowing.

Play offs for me would be a big disappointment based purely on what I think and know we're capable of.

Grecian Max

The games coming up make for interesting reading

Stevenage (H) we need and have to win that - nothing less than 3 points is acceptable
Morecambe (H) on the Tuesday is now surprisingly a six pointer. Adams is a good manager at this level but when we played in that 2-2 I never thought they'd be up there as we dominated a lot of the game (but still let in 2 poorly defended goals, quelle surprise!). I would expect a win.
Carlisle (A) win the next two (and we are due a few!) and this is massive, I would take a point currently but if we were to beat them we'd be pulling in on those top positions if not within them
Stevenage (A) same as the top one, this surely has to be 3 points

I suspect we'll be in a much better position after those 4 games

Spoonz Red E

The usual points return to aim for is 10 points from every 5 games for top 3 (84 - 92 points) and 8 or 9 points from every 5 games for the playoffs (72 - 83 points).
We're currently 9 points off the first target with 35 games left so ...
We need 10 points per 5 games for reasonable hopes of top 3.
11 points per 5 games for a chance at top spot.

Averaging the last 5 full seasons these are the points expected after 21 games to be on track for the top 7.

--

We have 33 points.
We would just squeeze in to the playoffs on form so far.

fred binneys head

The games coming up make for interesting reading

Stevenage (H) we need and have to win that - nothing less than 3 points is acceptable
Morecambe (H) on the Tuesday is now surprisingly a six pointer. Adams is a good manager at this level but when we played in that 2-2 I never thought they'd be up there as we dominated a lot of the game (but still let in 2 poorly defended goals, quelle surprise!). I would expect a win.
Carlisle (A) win the next two (and we are due a few!) and this is massive, I would take a point currently but if we were to beat them we'd be pulling in on those top positions if not within them
Stevenage (A) same as the top one, this surely has to be 3 points

I suspect we'll be in a much better position after those 4 games
I think we’ll win all 4, we tend to do well at Carlisle, nice big pitch.

Grecian Max

If that did come to pass I think it should be looked at for sure.

Grecian Max

The usual points return to aim for is 10 points from every 5 games for top 3 (84 - 92 points) and 8 or 9 points from every 5 games for the playoffs (72 - 83 points).
We're currently 9 points off the first target with 35 games left so ...
We need 10 points per 5 games for reasonable hopes of top 3.
11 points per 5 games for a chance at top spot.

Averaging the last 5 full seasons these are the points expected after 21 games to be on track for the top 7.

--

We have 33 points.
We would just squeeze in to the playoffs on form so far.
I think the points tally overall in the top 7 is going to be significantly lower though - there's still no teams pulling away