• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Rumours 2020/21

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Randall was poor tonight however 300k is a joke offer.
He’s hit a bit of a wall lately which was always likely to happen. But yeah that bid was never going to be acceptable.

Hopefully he will get some form back and maybe some more serious bids will come in, in the summer.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Probably a Barton signing who has now left...

So, on December 30, Stubbs was 'continuing his recovery from knee surgery'. A fortnight later, despite having only signed a two-year contract at Fleetwood in September, he's supposedly signed for City.

Oddly, I can't find anything anywhere to suggest he's left Fleetwood [he's still listed as a player on the club website], although he's removed all mention of the club from his Twitter bio.

older-codger

So, on December 30, Stubbs was 'continuing his recovery from knee surgery'. A fortnight later, despite having only signed a two-year contract at Fleetwood in September, he's supposedly signed for City.

Oddly, I can't find anything anywhere to suggest he's left Fleetwood [he's still listed as a player on the club website], although he's removed all mention of the club from his Twitter bio.
Because of the financial impact of Covid and the need to reduce their wage bill

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Charlton have confirmed that they offered £300k for Joel Randall, which City rejected saying they wanted over a £million for Joel.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Because of the financial impact of Covid and the need to reduce their wage bill
That would make some sense, although I presume Fleetwood can't unilaterally rip up someone's contract.

I guess that might be why it's impossible to find any news of Stubbs' departure – he's agreed to look for another club, but until such time as he has found himself one he remains a Fleetwood player.

Given he had the best part of two years remaining on his contract, and had been playing for Fleetwood prior to his injury, one would imagine we must have offered him a similar amount to what he would have earned there.

Red Bill

In fact Stockley's career goals to games ratio is almost exactly on a par with Bowman's. Stockley's time with us is not typical of his entire record.
That might be true Pete but his spells with us were also the only time he was playing week in week out. "The more I practice, the luckier I get"!

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
That would make some sense, although I presume Fleetwood can't unilaterally rip up someone's contract.

I guess that might be why it's impossible to find any news of Stubbs' departure – he's agreed to look for another club, but until such time as he has found himself one he remains a Fleetwood player.

Given he had the best part of two years remaining on his contract, and had been playing for Fleetwood prior to his injury, one would imagine we must have offered him a similar amount to what he would have earned there.
Or they have come to arrangement to partially pay him off to offset any losses he would have. Unless I have missed it they haven't yet appointed a new permanent manager so they might be trying to clear the way budget/salary cap wise for any new signings the new manager might want to bring in, they always want to bring someone in 😉. Time is getting tight in this window for a new manager to come in and do that which might be why they are pre-empting getting players out now.

Red Bill

Yeah it was such a drag watching the front three of Watkins, Stockley, and Wheeler, scoring 50 odd goals between them, wasn't it?

Have you not been supporting City very long or something? The Stockley era was ten times better than anything in the preceding decade or so. I agree we've played nicer stuff at times this year but looking back negatively on the period we had Stockley, Watkins and Wheeler? That's insane...
I think Robchave has a point. For all Tisdale's reputation for "playing football the right way" and the flowing passing football he's known for, in his last couple of seasons the football that got us to Wembley twice was ironically pretty route one a lot of the time. I'm sure that front three would have terrorised L1 defences as much they did L2 defences, but the style of football we were playing to get it to them was very different to what we were playing 5 years previously.

Trapdoor

I think Robchave has a point. For all Tisdale's reputation for "playing football the right way" and the flowing passing football he's known for, in his last couple of seasons the football that got us to Wembley twice was ironically pretty route one a lot of the time. I'm sure that front three would have terrorised L1 defences as much they did L2 defences, but the style of football we were playing to get it to them was very different to what we were playing 5 years previously.
We got a rep for "the passing game" in those few seasons where we came up from the conference into L1. Towards the end of our stay in L1 and subsequently in L2 we have played much more route 1 and mixed styles. We still arent a "route 1" team when compared to some sides like Northampton etc.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
That Tisdale = good football myth was very annoying. He applied a slow tiki-taka lite style for a while and it worked quite well (if a bit ponderous for me) but it ended up being mainly hoofball or pass around the area with little threat of it being put into the box.

I prefer a higher tempo myself.