• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's certainly not the case around our way (metropolitan Labour held constituency).
Just for the record, do you, or anyone else, know a single Labour Party voter who has called their child Tarquin?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Just for the record, do you, or anyone else, know a single Labour Party voter who has called their child Tarquin?
Bet he knows a load of feckin' Nigels though!

Bittners a Legend

What's a bit bizarre in all this is that those of us on the losing side of the Brexit debate, such as Elgy and me, do not appear to be as obsessed with the issue as people like you and Jinx who "won". Relax, get over it and don't concern yourselves too much with a party of opposition that has been to the bottom and will take a good year or two to get itself fighting fit again. I'm sure there are more interesting things you two can speculate about
This is exactly how I feel too. Going around in circles aimlessly over some weird idea of being "right" about something we can't measure. By 2024 Brexit might well have been fully exposed for the disaster I think it is, it might have proven the Farage fans right to be the best thing that's happened to Britain in 75 years or it might well be somewhere inbetween. Without that knowledge Starmer isn't going to form a "Rejoin" position and the electorate won't care. Both the position of Starmer and "remain" MPs makes sense to me and it will take some time for the party to recover and form a coherent agreed upon position. Until then MPs will continue to appeal to their base and Starmer will continue to do his best to just get lost voters to pay attention to him. Labour can't form a position for an election until it knows the early effects of Brexit. I repeat - the electorate will care what Starmer said in 2020, in 2024. Regardless I suspect the issues of poverty, healthcare, education and how to manage that with a likely weaker economy will be much more relevant to the electorate than FOM.

Last edited:

tavyred

What's a bit bizarre in all this is that those of us on the losing side of the Brexit debate, such as Elgy and me, do not appear to be as obsessed with the issue as people like you and Jinx who "won". Relax, get over it and don't concern yourselves too much with a party of opposition that has been to the bottom and will take a good year or two to get itself fighting fit again. I'm sure there are more interesting things you two can speculate about
I think it interesting that a political party who sought to circumvent a referendum result for three or so years, are now attempting IMO to convince the nation again that they’re united around a new policy of viewing Brexit as a settled issue. They are patently not. I’m loathed to speak for Jinxy, but perhaps we’re not as relaxed about Labour and Brexit as we should be as we were both duped in 2017 to vote for Labour, that was the last time we were told that Labour accepted the referendum result of course.

Mr Jinx

Not Tarquin, but would two kids (brothers) called Rufus & Jasper count? Put it this way, there's not many Jayden's, Jaxon's or Mason's at our dearests' school.

elginCity

.....perhaps we’re not as relaxed about Labour and Brexit as we should be as we were both duped in 2017 to vote for Labour......
Having felt duped in 2017, let's hope you both feel better about the choice you made in 2019. Speaking as a patriot - here's wishing us all a successful (benign at worst) Brexit for Britain and Europe. Seriously. :)

tavyred

Having felt duped in 2017, let's hope you both feel better about the choice you made in 2019. Speaking as a patriot - here's wishing us all a successful (benign at worst) Brexit for Britain and Europe. Seriously. :)
I love it when you wrap yourself in the Union flag Elgy. 🇬🇧😄

Mr Jinx

More meaningless waffle from Sir Kier today:

Family has always been incredibly important to me.
It meant everything to my parents that I was able to get on, to go into law and to lead a public service – the Crown Prosecution Service.
It meant everything to me that the NHS was there to care for my mum when she desperately needed it.
And it means everything to me now that I have a loving family of my own.

I mean, who is he paying to come up with this inane cräp?

tavyred

His Dad was a ‘toolmaker’ you know! 🙄

Mr Jinx

I think it interesting that a political party who sought to circumvent a referendum result for three or so years, are now attempting IMO to convince the nation again that they’re united around a new policy of viewing Brexit as a settled issue. They are patently not. I’m loathed to speak for Jinxy, but perhaps we’re not as relaxed about Labour and Brexit as we should be as we were both duped in 2017 to vote for Labour, that was the last time we were told that Labour accepted the referendum result of course.
Yep, I think you too felt the donkey ears growing as 2017 morphed into 2018.