• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town, Pappa John Pizza Trophy. Match Day Thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seymour is 21, hardly an 18 year old just getting into the side. He's not good enough for the FL.

Grecian Max

Also: crap keeping yet again from Maxsted. Be nice to see some saves soon.

IndoMike

In general, yes. However, Danny Rose was unmarked to nod home their first goal from a corner and their second came when, rather than put his boot through the ball, McArdle watched on and allowed the ball to bounce on the edge of the box. So, while I agree that you ‘defend as a team’, unfortunately, doing so doesn’t mitigate against individual errors.
I remember Aaron Martin was banished 2 seasons ago for allowing a ball to bounce : Matty T made a big deal about that issue and players not dealing with that kind of situation. He was right peed off.
Signing a 34 year-old from a lowly team as one of your two main centre backs is not a great idea imo and still think keeping Martin would have been the best thing to do. Keeper and centre backs are a key part of the spine of the team but we are not looking great in that area.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't see the game so wondering how Jordan Dyer did? With neither Sweeney nor McArdle looking totally convincing at the moment is he ready to step up and take his chance?

Steve H

Few things I learnt tonight
1) Ajose will not be the answer to our scoring problems
2) neither will Seymour
3) Sparkes' crossing is hugely erratic
4) Hartridge will be a star
5) I bloody well loved being back at SJP

Steve H

Didn't see the game so wondering how Jordan Dyer did? With neither Sweeney nor McArdle looking totally convincing at the moment is he ready to step up and take his chance?
Dyer looked ok but I was more impressed with Hartridge out of the back three

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dyer looked ok but I was more impressed with Hartridge out of the back three
Hartridge has been getting a lot of game time recently and it wouldn't surprise if he begins to replace Parkes in the first team or starts if we move to a back three. However, for me the bigger concern at the moment is the right-sided centre-half position.

StudentGrecian

I'd say probably not. Not because he'd miss like Ajose necessarily, but because I doubt he'd have been in the place that Ajose was to receive the ball in the first place. For me Seymour's positioning and reading of the game needs work. It's frustrating because I'd really like to see him do well.

Agreed. I'm desperate to see Seymour do well, but his finishing isn't as superb as some people make out either from what I have seen. I still can't forget the 2 absolute sitters he missed against Port Vale. Ben is going to need a decent second half of the season to be worthy of another contract imo. However, I'm sure he has another year in the bag with Taylor's persistence to select him in the matchday squad over Ajose. I'd be tempted to stick him out on loan in the National League in January if we can bring in a loan signing ourselves.

tonykellowfan

I thought we had money in the bank after the Watkins transfer. MT has already stated publicly he wants the club to back him in the january window.

We need a new CB if we are going to continue to play 4-2-3-1.

I'm surprised at the criticism of Ajose. In the games I have seen him he has shown good link up play and I would much rather have seen him start this game than Seymour, who does not look good enough for L2.

muppetdodger

Things I learnt last night;
Our finishing is woeful at times (nothing new iMHO)
I hate time wasting teams - I hoped after 9 months away this might have gone away but clearly not. Why do refs not sort this out right from the start of it?
Hartridge is going to be a real highlight.
McCardle is woeful
We need a better keeper, Maxted is so variable. Does he not know the barbers are open again?
Frustrating loss but hey ho, we are back at the park, sort of.