• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quite right, a loaded assessment, the type that any manager in the top three might get, further down and there would be a few gripes further down and the same manger could hardly put a foot right and near the bottom it's Taylor Out! Twas always thus.

Grecian Max

It shocks me that people don't think Ward is too good for the division. When he's been fit he's the best keeper we've had since Hamer. Mad.

Only Sweeney and Taylor remain from the PT era. We've got a great academy and we're actually using them now, whereas Tisdale gets lauded for playing 1/2 youth at a time...

Grecian Max

i think it's fair to say that Taylor has done sufficiently well in the transfer market, one look at that list and you can see that.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ward is a quality young keeper, he just needs to stop getting injured.

Maxted doesn't convince me though.

Ash

How about his public treatment of Sweeney, Tillson, Ajose and Martin. Basically saying you're not good enough and I don't want to play you. Hardly conducive to a good atmosphere within the team when either you then have to back down and play them or they fit around doing nothing. Surely doing it in private and/or trying to get something out of them on the field is better, unless you have millions you can waste on wages.

For a club so keen on a youth setup I think the reliance on 30+ player like Attagana, Martin L, Law, Warren, McArdle is wrong. I have no doubt that had we not been in a COVID environment then he'd have replaced Moxey, Martin x2, Woodman, Warren etc... with other senior pros and not play the youngsters like Hartridge, Kite, Randall etc..
If they'd have played last year then we'd have been promoted. At least he's learning.
Bizarre statement. Those kids are playing like they are now because of the way they were allowed to develop in the last couple of seasons. Just because a couple of them are ripping it up now, it doesn't mean they would have done the same thing 15 months ago.
We have more players aged 21 and under than any other team in the division. By 7 when I last checked! Atangana, Law & McCardle have all been on the bench most of the time. And besides, you do need a bit of experience anyway.
Yes the play off final was dismal but so far this season we've been treated to some of the most consistently exciting football I've ever seen. It is right up there with the best of anything Tisdale's sides ever produced. You're doing yourself a massive disservice by not being involved. Particularly after suffering through the later PT years, which lets be honest, was absolutely dire pretty often. In fact it got so bad that there were times I couldn't bare to watch it. I work at the club on match days so I would turn up, perform my duties, then leave. Sometimes immediately, sometimes at half time. What we have now is literally the opposite of that. Can't wait for Saturday!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Different views ;) could be expressed on

Warren, 35, out injured a lot, didn't play a single league game
Forte - ageing striker (32) two year contract, injury prone, career ended by injury after just 18 starts and 5 goals
Atangana - over 30 now. Injured when signed, out for half a season. Out injured this season too. 20 starts in 16 months
Ajose - marquee signing. Big money,3 year contract. Manager doesn't rate him and won't play him. Pre existing injury, out injured a lot, now 29. Two league goals so far, at a cost of pushing 100k each.
Fisher. two year contract for a reserve. Now 30. Out injured a lot. 5 starts and 2 league goals in 16 months

(bit of a theme with ageing injured players?)

Jimmy Oates. A mate(?). Didn't play a single minute of league football before being released.
McArdle. A mate(?). 33. Has lost his league place to Pierce Sweeney

Page. Injury prone. Out injured with old problem within a month. Out injured again. Good player but only when fit.
Caprice. Out injured. Has lost his first team place.
Smerdon. Paid a fee. Can't get into the second eleven.

The above assessments are on the harsh side, but are arguable views about MT's signing record. I very much support MT but can see the other side of the coin on signings

Of last night's 11 it is worth noting how many were brought to the club by MT. The answer is 4. the other 7 were all at the club when MT was appointed 2.5 years ago
Like you, I'm a Taylor fan and think he's done a fantastic job integrating so many of our academy products into the first team this season.

At the same time, it's worth pointing out MT's three summer signings were Caprice, McArdle, and Page. Appreciate all three of them have been unfortunate with injuries, but we seem to be coping pretty well without them. Indeed, IMO we look much less susceptible defensively when McArdle isn't playing.

STURTZ

In some ways I think Covid has forced our hands in bringing in youth, good old coronavirus!

Grecian Max

Indeed, IMO we look much less susceptible defensively when McArdle isn't playing.
Seen a few people comment about this. Genuinely wonder how the stats play out for our CB pairings, of which we have used many.... anyone....?

Grecian Max

I think Page's involvement in particular has been a big boost for us, even though he got injured. You can clearly see Sparkes being pushed on, it must have stung to have lost his starting spot - since he's got back into the side he's been one of our best players. Providing specific competition for each position rather than getting in players who can "play 3-4 positions" has been a real positive of MT's approach for me.

tonykellowfan

I think the main thing that we have learnt as a club is that you should not be making decisions on players at the age of 18. Lots of players take time to get to the level required for professional football and just because they do not seem ready at 18 does not mean they should be released. Jay is 24 and Collins is 21.

Randall and Key who are being lauded as a great young players are also 21 already.