• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

Boyo

Well first off, he's prepared to give youth a chance more so than the previous manager. The key difference in that multiple youth prospects playing at the same time rather than one or two at most. Perhaps his work with the u23s helped in that regard, certainly Jay has ultimately benefitted from the trust of the manager.

Signing wise looking at the list...

Season 1

Forte - class and did well before unfortunately retiring
A Martin - wasn't the CB Taylor wanted, but a classy player which many wanted retaining and POTY?
L Martin - Very decent, hard working, scored some great goals
Law - unbelievable signing at this level
Bowman - annoying player but we all know his pros and cons, he is
Willliams

Season 2
Atangana - excellent player, injuries have been an issue
Fisher - signed as cheap back up
Maxsted - easily could be no.1 at most L2 teams
Parkes - proper CB, think he's been a good signing
Ward - class
Warren - back up
Ajose - a "flop" but still a quality player, as it's clear to see
Smerdon - who knows
Visser - back up when needed, did a job
Dickenson - best left foot I've seen at the club, would have stayed had it not been for covid
Thompson? - dunno

Season 3
Caprice - quick, skillful, probably L1 quality
McCardle - does a job
Page - same ad Caprice

Compare that to the constant wasting of resources and bloating squads of PTs latter years...
Thanks Max - that's really helpful.

I think you missed the lad (full back) we signed from Hereford, who barely played and I'd argue we shouldn't be signing the likes of Fisher or Warren as back-up (and I' doubt they were cheap either), but I agree the signings have largely been good.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jimmy Oates.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jimmy Oates.
I'd forgotten him. 6 appearances, none in the league, only saw him as a sub. in the Cup defeat to Blackpool IIRC.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
With regards to Warren, he was signed as a hard bar steward at the back who would win headers and organise, sadly he was probably too old and injured too often, you could see the logic in the signing however it didn't pay off. You will make mistakes when signing players however if you can see the reasoning behind hit you can forgive signings that don't work out.

Of the signings we have made Ajose is the biggest mistake. Clearly he was signed to score goals however Taylor clearly demands energy and work rate, for all his ability and pedigree I don't think Ajose offers that so you would have to question that signing big time.

Boyo

With regards to Warren, he was signed as a hard bar steward at the back who would win headers and organise, sadly he was probably too old and injured too often, you could see the logic in the signing however it didn't pay off. You will make mistakes when signing players however if you can see the reasoning behind hit you can forgive signings that don't work out.
Agreed. Parkes and McArdle are of a similar vintage. What we miss is a CB who's a bit more technical and pacey, to play alongside the lumps.

dommers

Well first off, he's prepared to give youth a chance more so than the previous manager.
If they'd have played last year then we'd have been promoted. At least he's learning.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed. Parkes and McArdle are of a similar vintage. What we miss is a CB who's a bit more technical and pacey, to play alongside the lumps.
Early days still, but Hartridge seems to be kicking on to be that player. Good passer too.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
A fairly decent assessment but Ward class, oh yeah.
:LOL: can you tell I did that list during my morning zoom call?

Grecian Max

If they'd have played last year then we'd have been promoted. At least he's learning.
Wheeey he's back

We didn't finish the season. There were 9 games left, we were right in it.

LOG

I only saw Warren play once but he looked pretty decent despite his age. Was a very vocal leader type as well.