• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 2020/21

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
With last night's victory over unbeaten Bournemouth and the EFL floodlight Cup win, it reminds me of my disappointment last season with the abandonment of the U23 Cup, particularly after pulverising Villa I really fancied our chances against Newcastle. But it wasn't to be.

Whilst we are likely to lose Sonny Cox when he turns 16 what about the other players like Veale, etc have they signed to us as they are U18's?
Apart from Sonny, all those who played last night was a mix of first and second year trainees so are away from EPPP. Nelson Iseguen is already on a pro contract I think. Not sure if any of the others are yet but some will surely be offered.

jrg333

Sonny Cox just oozes class and composure. Rare thing for someone to look so dominant and assured at youth level without having obvious physical advantages over everyone on the pitch. Think Matty T needs to get him on the bench in the next few weeks to help our case at tribunal before he's inevitably poached...

Grecian_Matt

How good is Jack Veale?

Heard rumours he is joining Southampton in January.

andrew p long

here's a report about Jack Veale possibly going to Southampton in January. It says he is 18 (which would make him a second year scholar who has had his 18th birthday since 1 Sept.Is that right?)

Two further things. If he is a second year scholar what is the transfer fee mechanism? Its not EPPP for the U16s,so hopefully he can only move during his scholarship with City's consent thereby triggering a reasonably decent fee. And isn't he related to Taggy?

Coincidentally MT mentioned in his interview since Grimsby about the upcoming January transfer window , keeping the group of players together and then next summer transfer window. Wonder if this sort of talk has been on MT's mind

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

here's a report about Jack Veale possibly going to Southampton in January. It says he is 18 (which would make him a second year scholar who has had his 18th birthday since 1 Sept.Is that right?)

Two further things. If he is a second year scholar what is the transfer fee mechanism? Its not EPPP for the U16s,so hopefully he can only move during his scholarship with City's consent thereby triggering a reasonably decent fee.

Coincidentally MT mentioned in his interview since Grimsby about the upcoming January transfer window , keeping the group of players together and then next summer transfer window. Wonder if this sort of talk has been on MT's mind
If he isn't on a pro contract then unless a fee is agreed then it will go to tribunal, although not EPPP as you say. Hopefully their information is as accurate as their description of Jack as a Forward.

budegrecian

If he isn't on a pro contract then unless a fee is agreed then it will go to tribunal, although not EPPP as you say. Hopefully their information is as accurate as their description of Jack as a Forward.
As you say, not EPPP. The question is then: Will Southampton behave like Chelsea or Aston Villa....?

Rosencrantz

As you say, not EPPP. The question is then: Will Southampton behave like Chelsea or Aston Villa....?
Taggy has stated we have altered our own negotiating tactics after tribunals not going to our satisfaction. I think he was happier with Villa as the add ons were more realistically rewarding. The fact that Ethan could play 500 odd games at the top level for Chelsea and the maximum we could get was £2.5 million was always daft.

Grecian Max

Veale looks great, but I'd rather hoped he was flying under the radar a touch and could feature for the first team. If he goes we have zero chance of ever seeing Cox playing for us :(

Grecian 1901

U18 MATCHDAY (tomorrow)
Forest Green Rovers v City
EFL Youth alliance league at Cirencester
11am
5/12/2020

Rosencrantz

Rather like the look of Michael Lilley and Ellis Johnson as well.