• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
The Tories may well forget about it, but there's many voters out there that won't.

Dear David Cameron, Remember that "tens of thousands" pledge? We certainly did. Yours, the British Public.
Get orf moi laaaaaaaaand.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Get orf moi laaaaaaaaand.
Which in fairness was started off prior to Cameron with Gordon Brown and his guff around "British Jobs for British People!"

tavyred

I haven't heard the Government mention their less than 100 000 immigration policy lately - not when they anounced arangements in relation to Hong Kong and not when announcing their new immigration points system. Maybe I missed it or maybe there is another U-Turn in the offing? Now that the promise has served its purpose and got us out of the EU maybe the Tories will quietly forget about it.
I don’t t suppose you worry about immigration targets when you’re quite laudably offering a get out for people who may need to escape the overreach of an authoritarian state.

lamrobhero

I don’t t suppose you worry about immigration targets when you’re quite laudably offering a get out for people who may need to escape the overreach of an authoritarian state.
Oh so there are exceptions to the policy for those who want to escape an authoritarian state?

tavyred

Oh so there are exceptions to the policy for those who want to escape an authoritarian state?
Of course there are, what are you taking about?

arthur

I've just highlighted one above. (y):)(y)
Very narrow definition of what constitutes a tangible benefit in the national interest - the state of the sub section of labour market inhabited by M Jinx esq. :)

Mr Jinx

Very narrow definition of what constitutes a tangible benefit in the national interest - the state of the sub section of labour market inhabited by M Jinx esq. :)
You wanted one. I gave you one. And you still moan.

How can a drop in workers from the EU taking jobs in this country not benefit the British jobseeker? Tell me that much at least, without trying to obfuscate with bigger picture loblocks.

Of course there will be shortfalls in certain areas (e.g. fruit picking); jobs that Brits can't generally be arsed with. But that's where the visa system comes into play. It works well for Canada and Australia. Absolutely no reason why it can't here. Nearly 1 million more EU citizens applied to stay here over what was expected. There must be something attractive about this country after all.

arthur

Seems Molly got it right

tavyred

Seems Molly got it right

British MEP’s, remember them? 😄

arthur

Polly thinks Johnson will cave, on the grounds that "though this government is disgraceful and dishonest, it is not certifiably insane. It will not kill off the car industry, manufacturing, farming, finance and fishing." What think you, Jinx and Tavy?

She also makes the point that it's no good catching fish if you have to pay tariffs in order to sell it. Similar story in the FT today in their report from Brixham where 70% of their catch is exported to Europe. "Unless there's change in British dietary habits, we're stuffed"

She also advises Starmer to have nothing to do with it, a conclusion I have come to. The only reason that Red Wall voters will be cross with Labour for not backing Johnson's Brexit deal is if it's a success - her comparison with Iraq is a good one.

Those arguing that voting for it might bring back “red wall” seats are fighting the last war: voting for it is to own it, and its effects will be painfully clear by the next election. David Cameron backed the Iraq war and it hamstrung his later attacks on its calamitous consequences.