• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
How as a manager would MT feel about that, Do all the hard work to get us up just to see the team "Ripped apart" by vultures from other clubs? Like i said, MT won't be going anywhere sometimes soon but I'm sure he'll be frustrated as hell if he sees a team that gets him up split because of the need to? Because staying in L1 will cost and cost a lot more.
I genuinely don't think he sees it like that and instead sees his job as helping our players become the best they can be; if they then move to better things then so be it. Instead he seems to be creating a conveyor belt of players ready to replace the ones who leave. If Collins moves on, Kite is ready to take his place; if Sparkes goes we have Smerdon; for Randall or Williams there is Iseguan and so on.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
[QUOTE="arthur, post: 1934946, member: 590"
Small wonder that Alex and Eamo both opted for well paid stable jobs running academies. Or that Tisdale stayed at Exeter where he enjoyed a prolonged period of stability. I can realistically see Matt choosing either of these options over the high stakes gamble of taking over a club with unreasonable expectations of what he might achieve with them.
[/QUOTE]

Matt has many strengths as a coach and a manager but surely his biggest one is his ability to work with and improve young players and integrate them into the first team. Just look at the success he's had with Storey, Collins, O'Shea, Williams, Sparkes and now Key and Randall. I'm also guessing he gets a lot of satisfaction out of this as well. The problem for him, then, is which other clubs are going to offer him a better opportunity to do this than Exeter. The only clubs I can think of that compare are Crewe and Brentford.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I genuinely don't think he sees it like that and instead sees his job as helping our players become the best they can be; if they then move to better things then so be it. Instead he seems to be creating a conveyor belt of players ready to replace the ones who leave. If Collins moves on, Kite is ready to take his place; if Sparkes goes we have Smerdon; for Randall or Williams there is Iseguan and so on.
Even with the best will in the world our conveyour belt of talent will dry up from time to time, It happens at clubs, Ten or so years ago Southampton had shed loads of talent that came through (Most ended up at Liverpool!) but it did dry up, But being a PL club they have the money to buy. We did see here a few years back what happened when our revenue stream dried up. At the moment we're on a real cusp regarding our Academy and MT must be so happy this season with the youngsters doing the job, As you remember pre season he told us it would be a "Season of Transition" and because of finances would utilise the youngsters and also told us not to expect too much but with nearly a third of the season gone we have been exceptional and doing better than anyone of us thought. I think you're right about wanting and encouraging the lads to be the best they can be and to any youngster you see at ECFC if you're good enough and work hard you will get your chance.

In the end MT if he does a good job (Or continue to do the great job he's doing) he will get offers and i think some of those offers will be hard to resist. Two seasons in he has exceeding expectations IMO but with that come with "Self advertising" and others will look and think "I wonder?"

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I just think listening to his interviews, Post and pre matches he doesn't come across as a man or manager that's happy to "Sit on his arse" in a job because its safe, i genuniely believe he is ambitious and will want to test himself, Hopefully that will be with us but if our ambitions don't match him and his stock is high (Through Promotion, Man management, Bringing on youngsters etc) then he'd be off somewhere. In life we all change jobs because we're "Sold a dream" by a prospective employer and obvious financial gain and in like sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, I can't see MT being any different.
Nick Hawker, the Trust Chair, pretty much agreed with all this at the recent AGM.

DB9

[QUOTE="arthur, post: 1934946, member: 590"
Small wonder that Alex and Eamo both opted for well paid stable jobs running academies. Or that Tisdale stayed at Exeter where he enjoyed a prolonged period of stability. I can realistically see Matt choosing either of these options over the high stakes gamble of taking over a club with unreasonable expectations of what he might achieve with them.
Matt has many strengths as a coach and a manager but surely his biggest one is his ability to work with and improve young players and integrate them into the first team. Just look at the success he's had with Storey, Collins, O'Shea, Williams, Sparkes and now Key and Randall. I'm also guessing he gets a lot of satisfaction out of this as well. The problem for him, then, is which other clubs are going to offer him a better opportunity to do this than Exeter. The only clubs I can think of that compare are Crewe and Brentford.
[/QUOTE]
I think with the Covid situation and how that has impacted things clubs will re-evaluate their models and owners will see that a strong Academy might be the way forward and looking at potential managers who embrace that idea, Well i can't think of many others than MT.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think with the Covid situation and how that has impacted things clubs will re-evaluate their models and owners will see that a strong Academy might be the way forward and looking at potential managers who embrace that idea, Well i can't think of many others than MT.
Many of those clubs will still demand success in the short term though. Big clubs in league one will demand promotion regardless of anything else.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyway I wonder if we are getting ahead of ourselves, I like Taylor and am pleased he is our manager however we are only a bad run away from the lower end of league 2.

We are as close to 14th as we are to top spot !

DB9

Many of those clubs will still demand success in the short term though. Big clubs in league one will demand promotion regardless of anything else.
I think that Covid has dampened demands on a lot of clubs, A decent Academy will take time to set up and produce players, I agree it will take a brave owner to sell a project like this to the ever demanding fans though.

DB9

Anyway I wonder if we are getting ahead of ourselves, I like Taylor and am pleased he is our manager however we are only a bad run away from the lower end of league 2.

We probably are TPC, Like you I'm pleased with MT, A great replacement from our last incumbant but its nice to look up rather than down.

STURTZ

League position has nothing to do with it, anyone can see we're a very good team.

Can't see Matt being lured away just yet though, we're more than just one man, excellant manager though he is. If he went I would expect other one of our brilliant management team would take the helm.