• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Colchester United Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
The holiday periods can be tough.

What did his kids do ?
Get free school meals on the service he was passing up.

sidney

Mmm.. the margin was only 5 goals and I can remember off the top of my head two bigger league wins than that - both of which I saw and I'm not *that* old.

The 7-1 v Barrow 1972 mentioned earlier in this thread. And the 6-0 demolition of Swansea in 1969.
If I remember correctly, City were 6-0 up at half time. Jimmy Blain got a couple, I think.

Colesman Ballz

If I remember correctly, City were 6-0 up at half time. Jimmy Blain got a couple, I think.
We were certainly well ahead at half time, but it may have been 5-0, as iirc I was a tad disappointed that we only managed one more goal in the second half !
If my memory isn't playing tricks, Jimmy Blain was playing as a makeshift striker to replace Alan Banks who was out injured. Swansea were at the top end of the League
too !

sidney

We were certainly well ahead at half time, but it may have been 5-0, as iirc I was a tad disappointed that we only managed one more goal in the second half !
If my memory isn't playing tricks, Jimmy Blain was playing as a makeshift striker to replace Alan Banks who was out injured. Swansea were at the top end of the League
too !
You may well be right - someone will know. I think Jimmy Blain arrived as a right winger, but was quite quickly converted to a full back, where he of course excelled. Has there been a better City right back since? He must have replaced Cec Smyth, one of my favourite players from those days.

STURTZ

Wasn't Blain a left back? Thought Campbell Crawford replaced Cec.

Didn't we beat Workington 5:0 that season as well?

sidney

Wasn't Blain a left back? Thought Campbell Crawford replaced Cec.

Didn't we beat Workington 5:0 that season as well?
Just checked on Wiki, and you're right. I was just berating my memory, and then realised it was over fifty years ago and I was still at primary school! I remember when Campbell arrived he played at inside forward and didn't impress. As soon as he went to full back he was mustard. Excellent player and very popular, I recall.

andrew p long

Just checked on Wiki, and you're right. I was just berating my memory, and then realised it was over fifty years ago and I was still at primary school! I remember when Campbell arrived he played at inside forward and didn't impress. As soon as he went to full back he was mustard. Excellent player and very popular, I recall.
yes, poor old Campbell Crawford was at first a utility player. We had a squad of 16, no reserves, no youth team so in his first season IIRC he played in seven different outfield positions...came into his won when he stayed put at right back...ooops a bit off thread topic

Alistair20000

a utility player.
Now there is a phrase we do not hear these days