• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nobby Stiles

Nickp

So sad to see that Nobby has died. Saw him play at SJP in 1969 in the FA cup. His grin was infectious. George Best also played that day..
Interesting that regular heading of the ball is being touted as a possible cause of his death.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was a game , can still see Alan Banks goal going in.They don’t make ‘em like Nobby any more , just a load of prima donnas and wimps.Sad he had to sell his medals , says it all.
My those old balls were heavy when wet though which obviously caused a lot of problems from heading the ball.

Nickp

As a teenager, I was stood behind the goal where Alan Banks planted his header past Alex Stepney to give us the lead, in front of a crowd of over 18000.

What I would give to be on the Big Bank tomorrow!

Banksy

I was crammed , along with a few hundred others, in the left hand corner where the Big Bank is now , no social distancing then! A massive crowd as you said , and of course in those days you could barely breathe through the cigarette smoke.

cambmike

I was in the cowshed. Chicken wire fencing for segregation so for the 1st time couldn’t change ends at half time.

iscalad

Sat in the OG amongst the Man U fans

budegrecian

Sat on the wall that separated the cowshed & BB.
Great days.
RIP Nobby. One of eleven very special men.

sidney

In the OG. Cheered big time when Jimmy Blain got Best carried off in the first half.
Was Fitzpatrick offside for their first goal?
And did Denis Law handball for the third?
Or has the passage of more than fifty years completely destroyed my memory?

When Alan Ball was manager he came to a referees meeting. He told us that when England played Portugal in the World Cup Semi Final Sir Alf Ramsey detailed Nobby Stiles to mark Eusebio out of the game. Stiles did as he was told and just before half time Eusebio had had enough of being kicked up in the air. He said to Nobby in pigeon English Meester Stiles if you kick me again I will knock your teeth out. Quick as a flash Nobby replied you'll have a job mate I left them in the dressing room!

PeteUSA

My abiding memory of Nobby Stiles is during that SJP 1969 FA Cup game, after we'd gone 1-0 up. I was crammed in, about half way back on the big-bank. A United goalbound effort was deflected for a corner, and Nobby and a few others pushed up for the kick. Some City fans got hold of the ball, and refused to throw it back. Nobby went ballistic in the direction of where the ball was, those fangs were on full display! The ball wasnt released back, so referee Ted Wallace thought it best to get another one from the bench. Its quite incredible really that Nobby felt the need to get the ball back so urgently! I have heard though that Matt Busby said afterwards 'if Citys second 'goal' had counted, we would have lost'!