• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD)

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's something I get for a while until I get adjusted to it, usually from the week after the clocks go back for a couple of weeks. Getting up and going to work in the dark and going home from work in the dark ain't no fun.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pisses me off every year this extra hour in bed nonsense. Those with children get woken at half 5 instead of half 6
Manc, you gotta factor in that those children who walk along dodgy roads on their way to school have a better chance of being seen.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Manc, you gotta factor in that those children who walk along dodgy roads on their way to school have a better chance of being seen.
Whereas the same kids that walk along the same roads on the way home from school have a worse chance

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't see the point in changing the clocks twice a year and I've never heard a plausible explanation for doing it.

There was talk of an accident years ago in Scotland, where some schoolchildren were run over by a bus in the dark, being a reason for the altering the hours. But a TV programme ( One Show ?) investigated and found no evidence of any such incident. Then it was said that it gave farmers more working hours in WW2. Can't work that one out I'm afraid so has anyone any idea why we do it?

elginCity

It is a big lift to the national mood when the clocks spring forward every year, hardly a good reason for keeping it though !

manc grecian

Buy them a hi-vis.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't see the point in changing the clocks twice a year and I've never heard a plausible explanation for doing it.

There was talk of an accident years ago in Scotland, where some schoolchildren were run over by a bus in the dark, being a reason for the altering the hours. But a TV programme ( One Show ?) investigated and found no evidence of any such incident. Then it was said that it gave farmers more working hours in WW2. Can't work that one out I'm afraid so has anyone any idea why we do it?
The plausible explanation is it gives an hour more of 'useful' daylight in summer. Instead of it getting light at 3.30am (which it would do otherwise, even earlier in Scotland), you have it in the evening when it is theoretically of more use.

Every country in Europe does it, as does the USA (albeit they don't 'fall back' until this Sunday)
I know South Africa does it too - hence we are 2hrs behind Cape Town in our winter (they go forward, we go back) but the same in our summer

If we stayed permanently on BST we'd alwys be +1hr ahead of GMT which given the G runs through the country doesn't quite seem right

Of course there is the Irish issue. Currently us and the Republic are on the same time zone. If we, or they moved (which has also been mooted), NI and RoI would have different times for at least 6 months of the year.

I am surprised Nicola hasn't suggested SST. 20 minutes ahead of London.

Oldsmobile-88

It kicked in with a vengeance today after a few days of brewing up...Vitamin supplement coming up & I may visit the local sunbed emporium which is only a few hundred yards away.They also do waxing(whatever that is 😁) probably give that a miss.

elginCity

Exercise can help too, Olds, if you're able to. Hope it passes soon. (y)

Oldsmobile-88

Exercise can help too, Olds, if you're able to. Hope it passes soon. (y)
Thanks Elgy...I am a keen walker & would usually walk at least 6 miles a day so I will get back to that once the poor weather disappears.