• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really?
The U.K. has just given a supreme optimist an 80 seat majority.
The British left does like it’s foreign heroes, Saint Jacinda follows in the footsteps of the geezer from Venezuela and the maid from Burma, but like all political careers they Crash and Burn eventually.
I'm not sure you can compare the clearly democratically elected PM of NZ with the Marxist President of Venezuela.

Just as "everyone on the right" doesn't share the views of Nigel Farage or Hitler, so "everyone on the left" isn't beholden to Corbyn or Maduro.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
RP.
I was making a general point about the left’s penchant for lionising some foreign leaders. The ability to differentiate between them seems to be the left’s problem not mine.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really?
The U.K. has just given a supreme optimist an 80 seat majority.
The British left does like it’s foreign heroes, Saint Jacinda follows in the footsteps of the geezer from Venezuela and the maid from Burma, but like all political careers they Crash and Burn eventually.
Yes really. Because the reasons generally given for his majority are down to how much people dislike the EU, and how much people dislike Corbyn.

tavyred

Yes really. Because the reasons generally given for his majority are down to how much people dislike the EU, and how much people dislike Corbyn.
......or alternatively they are very positive about the UK’s future outside of the EU’s orbit and see the man who is almost defined as a politician as an optimist as the chap to guide us through it.
You pays yer money, you make yer choice. 🤷‍♂️

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
......or alternatively they are very positive about the UK’s future outside of the EU’s orbit and see the man who is almost defined as a politician as an optimist as the chap to guide us through it.
You pays yer money, you make yer choice. 🤷‍♂️
Not really born out by the fact the number one reason for voting to leave was immigration.

Mr Jinx

Not really. Up against Theresa May, quite a few people actually liked Corbyn. That many people didn't start disliking Corbyn in such a short space of time. The Boris factor obviously played a part.

angelic upstart

You’ve actually brought up my biggest issue with politics today by accident there Mr J.

I really hate that someone’s personality is considered a reason for voting for them. I’d much prefer a can they do the job and better the country at the same time approach.

Again, I don’t expect this to be a popular opinion, but I’d rather a small govt at national level with elected experts, not necessarily politicians and a bigger local government whereby more politics would be “played” but lots of decisions made that affect the electorate in that area. Bigger salary for those involved at all levels too, strangely enough, to encourage the best people.

tavyred

Not really born out by the fact the number one reason for voting to leave was immigration.
I thought we were talking about the 2019 GE.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not really. Up against Theresa May, quite a few people actually liked Corbyn. That many people didn't start disliking Corbyn in such a short space of time. The Boris factor obviously played a part.
Well, they did. His approval ratings dropped considerably between the 2 elections, until he was the least popular opposition leader of the last 40 something years.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought we were talking about the 2019 GE.
Yes, because of course Brexit had absolutely no impact on the result of the GE...