• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you don't like Lineker's SJW thing, avoid his Twitter account, and those media outlets who think repeating slebs Twitter and Instagram and whatever accounts passes for news. I find it pretty easy to just see him present very well on BBC and BT. He is not a news reporter, whatever his own views are are just that, why get triggered.

As for Radio 2 breakfast, I used to like Sara Cox standing in for Evans. Don't know why they switched her around.
Luckily Exeweb is the closest I get to Social Media, Have not got Twitter or Facebook or anything else, It's just I get to see some when Google do that headline thing and I guess they repeat what the latest thing has been said. Sara Cox is like Liza Tarbuck, Has a warm, Friendly voice and was always a good stand in for Evans but for me Ms Tarbuck is very underrated and her Saturday evening show is really good.

Rosencrantz

Luckily Exeweb is the closest I get to Social Media, Have not got Twitter or Facebook or anything else, It's just I get to see some when Google do that headline thing and I guess they repeat what the latest thing has been said. Sara Cox is like Liza Tarbuck, Has a warm, Friendly voice and was always a good stand in for Evans but for me Ms Tarbuck is very underrated and her Saturday evening show is really good.
Yeah, clickbait headlines can be hard to resist sometimes annoyingly. Hard to forget about them though if you don't go in to them and 99% of the time think "is that it". They tend to stick in your subconscious and give sometimes an overblown sense of whatever subject it is.

tavyred

If you don't like Lineker's SJW thing, avoid his Twitter account, and those media outlets who think repeating slebs Twitter and Instagram and whatever accounts passes for news. I find it pretty easy to just see him present very well on BBC and BT. He is not a news reporter, whatever his own views are are just that, why get triggered.
It’s not about getting triggered, it’s about a person having some regard for the consumers of the public service broadcaster he takes a large amount of cash from. The BBC’s funding model means the normal rules of consumer choice are not there. I wonder if Lineker’s antics would be tolerated if the BBC had a Netflix type subscription model and the ability to watch live TV was not dependent on having a BBC TV licence.

elginCity

It’s not about getting triggered, it’s about a person having some regard for the consumers of the public service broadcaster he takes a large amount of cash from. The BBC’s funding model means the normal rules of consumer choice are not there. I wonder if Lineker’s antics would be tolerated if the BBC had a Netflix type subscription model and the ability to watch live TV was not dependent on having a BBC TV licence.
It's your choice whether to buy a BBC licence, or not, as it's your choice whether to avoid/ignore Gary Lineker's personal views, or not. Aren't they the normal rules of consumer choice ? :rolleyes:

tavyred

It's your choice whether to buy a BBC licence, or not, as it's your choice whether to avoid/ignore Gary Lineker's personal views, or not. Aren't they the normal rules of consumer choice ? :rolleyes:
Nope. 🙄
The normal rules of consumer choice means that I could target specifically my displeasure at Lineker and the BBC and cancel my BBC tv licence and at the same time carry on watching other live tv.

Rosencrantz

Antics 😂😂😂. I consume MOTD, am I happy with the product? Yep, even when Shearer is on. Does it matter the "antics" any of them get up to away from the BBC because their political view might be different? No. Does it hurt anyone? No.

elginCity

Nope. 🙄
The normal rules of consumer choice means that I could target specifically my displeasure at Lineker and the BBC and cancel my BBC tv licence and at the same time carry on watching other live tv.
Ah, I see what you mean ! The BBC's funding model might make for abnormal rules of consumer choice, but you still have a choice, Tav. Sufficient numbers cancel their licence because of old jug ears personal tweets, and he'd soon be gone. Guess y'all don't really care that badly. :rolleyes:

tavyred

Antics 😂😂😂. I consume MOTD, am I happy with the product? Yep, even when Shearer is on. Does it matter the "antics" any of them get up to away from the BBC because their political view might be different? No. Does it hurt anyone? No.
We’ve had this conversation before I think.
I’m choosing to get annoyed at Lineker and would like a situation to exist where I could exercise consumer choice and extend that annoyance by not paying the licence fee, the vast bulk of which goes to the BBC and eventually to Lineker himself. Unfortunately if I did that I would not be able to watch other live TV.
Lineker owes a large part of his ongoing celebrity to his employment at the BBC and is in receipt of a large amount of the public’s hard earned cash. If he were doing the same at ITV I wouldn’t have a problem with it, I’d stop watching ITV and if enough people agreed with me it would effect their advertising revenue and ITV would either have accept his antics or get him to stop.
The BBC has a privileged position and IMO they and their employees need to be cognisant of that fact when the likes of Lineker thinks it funny to troll some of the people who are paying his exorbitant wages.

Rosencrantz

We’ve had this conversation before I think.
I’m choosing to get annoyed at Lineker and would like a situation to exist where I could exercise consumer choice and extend that annoyance by not paying the licence fee, the vast bulk of which goes to the BBC and eventually to Lineker himself. Unfortunately if I did that I would not be able to watch other live TV.
Lineker owes a large part of his ongoing celebrity to his employment at the BBC and is in receipt of a large amount of the public’s hard earned cash. If he were doing the same at ITV I wouldn’t have a problem with it, I’d stop watching ITV and if enough people agreed with me it would effect their advertising revenue and ITV would either have accept his antics or get him to stop.
The BBC has a privileged position and IMO they and their employees need to be cognisant of that fact when the likes of Lineker thinks it funny to troll some of the people who are paying his exorbitant wages.
You need to keep all the MP's off of Twitter as well then 😉

He isn't tweeting as part of his job is he? He gets paid for what he does in front the camera, not in front of his mobile. If you don't want to watch or listen or read the Beebs output, that's an argument. Using Lineker's out of hours Twitter meandering as an excuse is pretty weak.

As you say you, circular argument.

Last edited:

tavyred

Ah, I see what you mean ! The BBC's funding model might make for abnormal rules of consumer choice, but you still have a choice, Tav. Sufficient numbers cancel their licence because of old jug ears personal tweets, and he'd soon be gone. Guess y'all don't really care that badly. :rolleyes:
I’m not so sure Elgy.
The 450 regional job cuts at the BBC are said to be part caused by the loss of licence fee revenue. I have family and friends who after a lifetime of happily paying the licence fee have now decided to sack it off such is there frustration with the BBC.