• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Current policy is based on transmission, which we have buckets of evidence about. We know nothing about long-term immunity.
Just to add, it's supposed to be based on evidence on transmission, I'm not so sure that's the case sometimes. Too many political forces at play.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
The problem with following the Science is that even the scientists cant agree

Alistair20000

Who said this about Covid19 and when:

“If you suppress something very very hard, when you release those measures it bounces back and it bounces back at the wrong time.

Our aim is to try to reduce the peak, broaden the peak; not suppress it completely. Also because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity, so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission. At the same time we protect the people who are most vulnerable to it “

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I see Allison Pearson of the Telegraph says that all these measures are only achieving is a postponement of deaths. Sounds good to me!

Antony Moxey

Haha, it has a certain logic to it!

Mr Jinx

“If you suppress something very very hard, when you release those measures it bounces back and it bounces back at the wrong time.

Our aim is to try to reduce the peak, broaden the peak; not suppress it completely. Also because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity, so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission. At the same time we protect the people who are most vulnerable to it “
Unsure, but whoever did is completely correct. The main worry was over an overwhelmed NHS. Now that they're mostly all sitting around twiddling their thumbs not to mention the huge aircraft hangar Nightingale hospitals around the country gathering dust, I for one would hope they would go back to that original strategy.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster

Valance in early March.

It's where the phrase Herd Immunity was first used (in a UK Covid context) and was then a stick that Indo and others used to beat Johnson and Cummins with as if it was their idea, as opposed to actually being 'the Science' until Shagger Ferguson came along with his 500,000 dead model

Alistair20000

Valance in early March.

It's where the phrase Herd Immunity was first used (in a UK Covid context) and was then a stick that Indo and others used to beat Johnson and Cummins with as if it was their idea, as opposed to actually being 'the Science' until Shagger Ferguson came along with his 500,000 dead model
Is the correct answer.

Glum and Glummer, partners in pessimism and their puppet master Feruguson really ought to be subject to detailed questioning over the SAGE advice and why it has been changed. Not enough for them to to say the advice has changed as circumstances have changed.

Alistair20000

Agree it hasn't been good in any way for the economy, but let's keep it in perspective. The hospitality industry is but one sector - produces around 4% GDP.

Everyone I know (exception being a pub landlord pal, another previously furloughed but now back in the office part time) is still doing their job, or moving house, still spending their money. The economy has been winged - but has not broken down completely just yet. If what you suggest happens next year, however, you could well be right !
Facing the worst recession in 300 years this seems a bit of an understatement to me.

elginCity

Facing the worst recession in 300 years this seems a bit of an understatement to me.
Not if you compare it to the 10 years of the Great Depression it isn’t.