• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would, but it’s a way out of this mess that ‘respects’ the will of the people; no EU membership and no customs union. Schengen could be an opt out. Brexitannia could crack on with its own global trade deals while retaining unfettered access to the lucrative single market next door.

We were founding members of EFTA, the door is open to rejoin.

Of course it’d be a hard sell to the dwindling Brexiter xenophobe types, but if it is working well in 4 years ? Brexit will have been delivered.
All sounds eminently sensible but doesn't it miss ticking the crucial box of 'taking back control'. We'd be a passive rule taker with no say over dem rules.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Please flesh out your ideas on use of people's pension schemes. I am interested in this.
Ali

You're against the C-19 restrictions because of the cost to the nation and yet you support Brexit, which apparently might cost the nation's economy two or three times as much.. The lockdown saves lives but Brexit is simply an ideology
How can you be so critical of lockdowns based on economic factors but in agreement with Brexit ?

IndoMike

The Daily Excess up to its usual daily tricks with the text totally contradicting the headline Sad to see their daily desperate attempts to make mutton look like lamb
They lie, they distort. Very Machievellian.

IndoMike

And another one from the Excess. Same thing. No shame. What a garbage newspaper

elginCity

All sounds eminently sensible but doesn't it miss ticking the crucial box of 'taking back control'. We'd be a passive rule taker with no say over dem rules.
EFTA would also mean respecting the GFA - a UK/US trade deal possibly in the bag, Trump or Biden. Single market membership would also mean Scotland/NI back onside in our 'precious' union (sic).

Something has to give, RP, this ill-thought-out Brexit is undeliverable without grave repercussions.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
EFTA would also mean respecting the GFA - a UK/US trade deal possibly in the bag, Trump or Biden. Single market membership would also mean Scotland/NI back onside in our 'precious' union (sic).

Something has to give, RP, this ill-thought-out Brexit is undeliverable without grave repercussions.
Unless we have no deal, agreed something has to give but I just don't see Johnson signing up for this.

Having made himself increasingly unpopular with his backbenchers over pandemic handling, I can't see an upside politically unleashing more internal strife within the party, especially from the ERG mob that largely put him there.

I'm not sure where the 'Tories for EFTA' movement is in any great numbers.

Rosencrantz

Unless we have no deal, agreed something has to give but I just don't see Johnson signing up for this.

Having made himself increasingly unpopular with his backbenchers over pandemic handling, I can't see an upside politically unleashing more internal strife within the party, especially from the ERG mob that largely put him there.

I'm not sure where the 'Tories for EFTA' movement is in any great numbers.
The Tories for EFTA movement all got sacked last year or left of their own accord didn't they?

Still have a sneaky feeling that the current "big man power play" around the Internal Market Bill is a foreshadowing of some kind of deal which will be paraded as a triumph to all those not looking at the detail. After all, it's happened once with the WA.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
So apparently now you are going to need a permit to drive a lorry into Kent from December. Even if said lorry is just delivering to Sainsbury's in Maidstone.

We've certainly taken back control.

Its one aspect of what I fear about all this Coronavirus micro management. Once authority gets a taste of petty officialdom, it finds it very difficult to let go.

Spoonz Red E

So apparently now you are going to need a permit to drive a lorry into Kent from December. Even if said lorry is just delivering to Sainsbury's in Maidstone.
Lorry Driver's playlist

Track 1.

"It's talking to us - all engines talk!
What's it saying?
It's saying chitty chitty chitty chitty chitty ....."

Alistair20000

Ali

You're against the C-19 restrictions because of the cost to the nation and yet you support Brexit, which apparently might cost the nation's economy two or three times as much.. The lockdown saves lives but Brexit is simply an ideology
How can you be so critical of lockdowns based on economic factors but in agreement with Brexit ?

Yet more “modelling” hedged with the usual mights and coulds.

Who knows if is is right or wrong.

Lockdown might have saved some lives but it is taking others and the economic devastation that it has definitely brought (no might or could here) will cost even more lives in due course. My criticism of Lockdown is not based on solely economic grounds. It’s costs are human, social and health oriented

Last edited: