• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Port Vale Sept 19th Match Day Thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our team when we played Port Vale away last Jan, only four of that side started yesterday.

• 23Maxted
  • 24DickensonBooked at 49mins Substituted for Williams at 54'minutes
  • 2Sweeney
  • 5Martin
  • 15Parkes
  • 20Richardson
  • 25Taylor Substituted for Law at 71'minutes
  • 4Atangana
  • 27Collins
  • 12Bowman
  • 14Ajose Substituted for Fisher at 85'minutes

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our team when we played Port Vale away last Jan, only four of that side started yesterday.

• 23Maxted
  • 2Sweeney
  • 5Martin
  • 15Parkes
  • 20Richardson
  • 4Atangana
  • 27Collins
  • 12Bowman
Only three are no longer at the club.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
One win in the last 10 EFL games. Just saying.
Does MT allow personal relationships to cloud his judgement? Taylor and Bowman are finding it as hard to get out of the team as Ajose is to get in it.
Many a true word spoken in jest.....like your sense of humour.

fred binneys head

• 23Maxted
  • 2Sweeney
  • 5Martin
  • 15Parkes
  • 20Richardson
  • 4Atangana
  • 27Collins
  • 12Bowman
After watching the second half last season, I’d have to say a resounding “good”.

IndoMike

One win in the last 10 EFL games. Just saying.
Does MT allow personal relationships to cloud his judgement? Taylor and Bowman are finding it as hard to get out of the team as Ajose is to get in it.
Taylor said yesterday that Bowman and Seymour need to start scoring "if they want to play". To be frank, aside from Fisher, Taylor hasn't given himself many options.

Banksy

Taylor said yesterday that Bowman and Seymour need to start scoring "if they want to play". To be frank, aside from Fisher, Taylor hasn't given himself many options.
Unless this is a backhanded way of saying he’ll look at the market for other scoring options.If you do Matt for goodness sake do it carefully and make him a good one.

Red Devon

Unless this is a backhanded way of saying he’ll look at the market for other scoring options.If you do Matt for goodness sake do it carefully and make him a good one.
It wouldn’t be any good trying to find someone on the cheap another (Fisher) it would need to be a sound investment.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not too despondent after that match.

I saw quite a few bright signs ( and a few worrying ones). We started the match with 5 academy graduates, and two more on the bench, and apart from Collins who I'll cover later, I felt they all showed promise with Key being the pick for me, Randall puts in some sumptuous crosses, and it was a shame that Seymour didn't get on the end of that one like he did in the friendly at Weymouth. I think given gametime Randall will end up beating Randel for assists (if he stays) this season and if we can put the ball in the back of the net!

Jay was his busy little self and unfortunately without much effect in this match, but he is always willing to try a pop at goal which can't be bad, it's just getting the ball to him (Bowman :mad: ). As for Dean being out sprinted by a winger it's what you would expect for a centre half, and he shouldn't have been left exposed like that with the crap corner. When we do these short corners surely there must be a plan to get the ball into the box asap instead of fannying around with it so that you could lose possession, otherwise why send up your lumping great defenders if they are not going to have anything to attack and then have to sprint back when we lose it.

Negatives, Ward had two shots to save and didn't save either. For the free kick his positioning was way out leaving too much space for their player to pick his spot. The wall wasn't the tallest in the world either, and for their second as Pete said he led with his feet, if he had dived or lunged at the ball he would have pulled off a worldie as their goalie did to Seymour, other than that I thought the defence didn't do too badly and looked more of a unit than in some of the friendlies we have witnessed.

Collins had a nightmare game, he should have been booked early on, gave away a soft freekick for their first and then got caught in possession for their second, yet I would still pick him next match as his supporting cast were largely anonymous throughout the match. As someone else has pointed out Atangana's control and distribution currently leave a lot to be desired, and was Taylor even on the pitch? Drop these two for Law and Williams with Collins dropping back to a more defensive midfield position. Ultimately we need someone in their with a little bite that can distribute as well which is what I was hoping Atangana would be, but currently he is falling well short of expectations.

Up front, Bowman, meh, at the time with his one on one which their goalie saved I am not convinced it was even on target looking at the final positioning of their goalie, he was found out by their centre halves and therefore ineffective, until he put that superb cross in for Ben Seymour which bought of the worldie. With our reliance on Bowman if he is snubbed out then our attacking options appear to be zero, and for all his hard work he is not the sort of player to put so much reliance upon.

Having caught highlights of ***** of the day, and the change in laws on handball then I do believe we should have had a penalty, but then again so should Bowman have been sent off. A match which for the efforts should have ended 2-2 but didn't, against the team who I feel will be the early season pacesetters wasn't too bad a performance, on another day against lesser opponents and we would be smiling and talking about play-offs and how we hate Wembury. Port Vale's telling time will be the January window and what signings they make to continue their challenge

Going forward, as I said I am quite positive, we have money in the bank, a good group of youngsters, the new signings I feel are good (albeit one is sidelined at the moment but Key is proving an adequate cover), surprisingly I feel a solid tackling defensive midfielder is more of a priority than a centre half at the moment.

We need to play to our strengths at corners and if McArdle is going forward USE HIM. The goalies may need to fly over to Arizona for some coaching in the absence of a goalkeeping coach as it's not looking impressive at the moment, and there is currently not one name which should be automatically on the teamsheet (Bowman Taylor :mad:), MT needs to be more open minded with what is available to him and use those resources forgetting any fall outs or grudges, but it is still early season and we did draw three of the promotion favourites first three games so onwards and upwards (hopefully 🤞)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd take it to be a kick up Ryan's arse. "Put your chances away big boy".

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have a feeling any further comments about our current team and manager may well be irrelevant as judging by the recent broadcast we are heading for a further lockdown and sorry to be a wet blanket another close down of live sport.