• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

Grecianpasty

It was only a tongue in cheek thought. We’re not party to the goings on between Taylor and his players but look what went on between A.Martin and Taylor last season .If the situation doesn’t sort itself out it’s better he gets farmed out , at least he’d be in the shop window and we just might get a decent confident player back.Especially if his contract is for three years.
p.s GP , Bowman might have been joint second top striker but he won’t exactly fire us to promotion I’m afraid and if that’s the best Taylor can do in the striker direction he needs help in picking the next one ( assuming we get a next one in the foreseeable future.😢 )
Very harsh criticism of both bowman and MT. The blokes second top scorer, what else is he expected to do?

Answer me this - what striker better then bowman could MT bring in?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
But it will still be a waste of a wage letting him sit it out Rosencrantz which is why I suggested it in a lighthearted way .They’d get a free player , he might come back with some confidence boosting goals under his belt and fire us to promotion after January.😀😀
p.s I get Torquay might not want him , could be any team ,and he might not want to go but it was just a thought.
He might do but if we are not playing in a way that suits him, it wouldn't matter. Every manager makes recruitment mistakes over their career's and Matt isn't long into his. It's a question of learning from the mistakes and making sure you make more good signings than bad.

Banksy

MT's issue with A. Martin was that he didn't deal with what he called the second ball. In other words, he'd make an initial challenge/clearance but would then switch off a bit immediately after.
I was thinking more about the way it was possibly handled rather than the original cause.

LOG

I was thinking more about the way it was possibly handled rather than the original cause.
Well it seemed to work!

It's funny how people like MT's honesty in interviews but then he's criticised for being too honest. I suppose it depends on the subject matter though and, as you said earlier, what happens behind the scenes and the private conversations between MT and individual players.

malcolms

If this was the case then you'd have to question people's judgement when they signed him. We're a L2 club and as such cannot afford to carry a "Sicknote" like that if it were true.
We carried half a team under PT...

IndoMike

Just throwing this out there but what if NA has a long term medical issue which requires careful management, he can train but actual game time must be limited ? Remember Paul McGrath or Ledley King who could play but not train ?

Just maybe he's training well but MT is saving him for Salford as he regards Ajose as first choice. Or maybe we've been sold a pup....
Billy, if he has a long-term injury (I think he has) why the fark did we sign him and why did we allegedly give him a high salary on allegedly a 3 yr. contract?
And if he hasn't, what the fark is going on with him. We can't afford to have someone hanging around like this. He's either fit and a serious contender or he isn't. This thing about putting him on the bench with no intention to play him is a load off old carp, too
Sorry, you know I'm usually very patient, but it"s been a bloody year now ..

Langer

Somethings happened with him I think Increasing looking like he’s only here cause he’s doing a course in the area.

older-codger

Maybe if/when Ollie moves, use some of the money to agree a figure with the 2 unwanted to buy up their contracts releasing salary to get someone who is wanted?

StroudGrecian

I think some folk are being somewhat unfair and disrespectful here - Ajose's career to date shows he's been a pretty decent League 1 forward having scored roughly 1 in 3 over the past 10 years (and matched that for us last season). It's clear that he's injury prone from the number of games played over that time - Matt Taylor knew that when he signed him. To judge him on a first season that was blighted by an ankle injury and curtailed by Covid is premature. I understand MT has said he's free to leave - probably little choice in saying this, given that Ajose is reputedly a high earner coupled with the financial hit of Covid.

From the little I've seen of Ajose I've been impressed with his touch and movement - unfortunately players around him (apart from Matt Jay) just not on the same wavelength yet. Less impressed by his obvious frustration at this from time to time, but I take that as a sign that he is desperate to do well. I think he could still achieve that, with some luck on the injury front, and perhaps some better vision from our midfield - and with the likes of Randall, Key and Kite coming through to join Collins and Jay, that's far from impossible.

iscalad

Hopefully he will play on Tuesday and show us what he's about.