• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Number 9 shirt

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have never understood the fuss made over shirt numbers.

I realise some players are superstitious and others have had their shirt number built into their public persona (Deano, Christiano Ronaldo etc),

But otherwise, why does it matter?

Corey

Imagine it will be Seymour as he has been pictured in training without a number on his new top, while the other players all have theirs.

robchave

Whoever it is, we should try not to make too much of it. We want a local player to feel proud, yes, but not to feel a huge weight of expectation.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have never understood the fuss made over shirt numbers.
Finally, somebody has said it.

That said, the symbolic gesture by the club to retire the number 9 for the 9 seasons was appropriate, and thoughtful, given the circumstances. The family has appreciated the gesture, will never forget it, and is happy for the number to be now back on a City shirt.

Grecian Max

I totally disagree about this idea of shirt numbers being irrelevant.

They are part of the visual make of the game, they evoke memories, bring discussion and represent a way of playing as well as serving as reminder of how football has developed. I remember as a kid thinking they were the coolest thing in the world. Now admittedly my job is visual but I can't see why it wouldn't be of interest. They are iconic, if I think of Stanno, you think of his running, his goals, his number.

We all know no.9 is a big deal in football because of what it represents - I like what the club are doing with this and although big shoes to fill, I'm sure Seymour will do a great job.

Grecian Max

And I say this with this book sitting to next to me right now

Rosencrantz

Having the number nine shirt represented by a home grown player is ideal and a reflection on the circumstances as the club and family have made clear. It's almost certainly going to be Seymour this season and hopefully this will be a tradition the club can forge from now on, and yes, that does mean even when we might not have a home grown centre forward to wear it. Former successful number nine wearers have included Brian McDermott and Lammie Robertson in promotion winning seasons, and even Chris Vinnicombe when he broke into the team at left back!

tonykellowfan

What would have been great was if Stanno junior had stayed and worn the shirt.

manc grecian

I can't get my head around people who think that it would be a good idea to burden a child with that. Mental.

Benguin

I can't get my head around people who think that it would be a good idea to burden a child with that. Mental.
Depends on your outlook. Many people who have worn a uniform of a particular regiment have been inspired by those who wore it before them, often in tragic circumstances. I would like to think that Stanno’s shirt could inspire a youngster to try that little bit harder and be that little bit better. Most professional sportsman are already mentally tough otherwise they would not be where they are even at our level. Treated with the respect it deserves why not and especially with the support of the family.