• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ownership of St James Park

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I hope the future will be different for the younger generation.
One aspect that will be different is that you won’t be there £ucking ruining it for everyone, moaning about the women’s team and generally being a ********. I wish I’d been born 25 years later for that very reason.

Boyo

25 years, nothing much to be shouting about is it?

nice we have that time at SJP but hardly huge news is it.
25 years is usually the maximum length for these kind of leases. Don’t get confused with a typical lease for a property being purchased, where normally you would want 100+ years.

Colesman Ballz

The club also owns the lease o n the ground and a percentage of OTR Ltd who own the St James Centre. The City Community Trust own the Fountain Centre and car park.
There is also Network Rail (or whatever title it currently has). They own the "Jungle Path" upon which we pay an annual rent. I believe that we have attempted to purchase it in the past, but have been turned down. I have no idea what that rental figure stands at, but at the time of the Trust takeover I think it may have been in the region of £1500 per annum.

Dannyred

One aspect that will be different is that you won’t be there £ucking ruining it for everyone, moaning about the women’s team and generally being a ********. I wish I’d been born 25 years later for that very reason.
ruining it 😂 You should look closer towards some of the people that have failed at the club over the years.

The only real reason you wished you had been born 25 years later is that you secretly agree with me ;)

As for the women’s football you clearly have a problem with women playing.

i8cornwall

25 years is usually the maximum length for these kind of leases. Don’t get confused with a typical lease for a property being purchased, where normally you would want 100+ years.
fair enough, why are these leases shorter?

Boyo

fair enough, why are these leases shorter?
In essence, it's because it's a rental agreement. For most businesses, a lease of that length is unlikely to be desirable. It may be more cost effective to buy, or they want to keep options open in case of business failure, or the need tor expansion etc.

DB9

In essence, it's because it's a rental agreement. For most businesses, a lease of that length is unlikely to be desirable. It may be more cost effective to buy, or they want to keep options open in case of business failure, or the need tor expansion etc.
Understand that but as we're not likely to be going anywhere anytime soon (Fingers crossed ref possible worst case scenario) a longer lease agreement would seem more sensible and not have to go through this Council PR stunt of them trying to look as though they really care about the club.

Pete Martin (CTID)

When I started going to watch city on the big bank we were in the 4th tier of football and 50 years later that’s where we remain and nothing will change unless the mentality changes of those in charge of running the football club.

I hope the future will be different for the younger generation.
When I started to watch City they were in the 4th tier of football and 54 years later that's where we remain.
In those 54 years many things, apart from that, have changed for me. The ground, the stands, the closeness and camaraderie of the supporters. The feel of the place and the knowledge that I own a little piece of it all.
In that 54 years, some of our former opponents have sunk without trace. Some have made it big and then reality has bitten and they are back where they were with us 54 years ago, or worse, below us. In a few cases even two tiers below. Most are very much worse for wear.
There is no panacea in football, except for the very big names, whatever the "mentality".
'Twas ever thus and, probably, forever will be.

Boyo

Understand that but as we're not likely to be going anywhere anytime soon (Fingers crossed ref possible worst case scenario) a longer lease agreement would seem more sensible and not have to go through this Council PR stunt of them trying to look as though they really care about the club.
Presumably the lease sets out the framework by which the amount the Club pays in rent for each of the next 25 years is calculated. The longer the term, the more difficult it is for both parties to determine whether they are getting good value.

Incidentally, what makes you think the Council are pulling a PR stunt? Personally, I genuinely believe they value the Club; primarily because of the Community work that we do, but also the football side.

i8cornwall

When I started to watch City they were in the 4th tier of football and 54 years later that's where we remain.
In those 54 years many things, apart from that, have changed for me. The ground, the stands, the closeness and camaraderie of the supporters. The feel of the place and the knowledge that I own a little piece of it all.
In that 54 years, some of our former opponents have sunk without trace. Some have made it big and then reality has bitten and they are back where they were with us 54 years ago, or worse, below us. In a few cases even two tiers below. Most are very much worse for wear.
There is no panacea in football, except for the very big names, whatever the "mentality".
'Twas ever thus and, probably, forever will be.
as much as you are correct in what you when said Pete (granted I’ve not been watching city for 54 years as I’m a few years off being old enough for that) And I don’t disagree with, But do you think that the fans of those clubs look back on there ride up the leagues fondly and cherish those memories?

or like us do you think they wish they had stayed in the 4th tire with nothing really tangible achieved on the pitch?