• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Rumours 2020/21

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would image that the start of August will be when we start seeing outward movement from the club. I am guessing this will be what frees up space and money for incomings.
MT quoted as saying it’s up to the unfancied players “to sort themselves out”

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT quoted as saying it’s up to the unfancied players “to sort themselves out”
Yes, but they are perfectly entitled to sort themselves out by staying here at City, picking up their weekly wage.

Red Devon

Yes, but they are perfectly entitled to sort themselves out by staying here at City, picking up their weekly wage.
Finding someone else to take them will probably be the biggest stumbling block.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Finding someone else to take them will probably be the biggest stumbling block.
I have no doubt that the players Matt Taylor is referring to, are honourable and honest professionals. However, it is a difficult sell for anyone to leave a job that pays "X" and then go to another employer, who is almost certainly going to pay them "X-1". However, football is stark raving mad, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that some might get another club on equal or improved terms. Lets watch this space.

benjisheps

I would image that the start of August will be when we start seeing outward movement from the club. I am guessing this will be what frees up space and money for incomings.
Martin from reading and listening to all of MT's interviews it sounds like there is space and money for the two priority signings that he wants to bring in hence why he has been pushing ahead with this and had players down to visit the training ground.

The players that MT has said can leave would free space for additional signings from what I have been told, but due to the fact that none of the players have found new clubs as of yet there won't be any additional signings past these two priority ones until this does happen. Either way I'm just happy that there is the scope for MT to bring in the CB and RB that he wants....hopefully!!

Like you said the players that MT has said can leave may not want to and may try to stay and prove him wrong if they don't get a suitable deal for themselves elsewhere which they are totally entitled to do. I actually think this was the case this season with Aaron Martin.

I have no knowledge on this but reading between the lines and the fact that MT has stated he wants a RB and right sided CB I would assume that Sweeney may be one of the players told to move on. Jordan Dyer and Will Dean can provide cover at RB and RCB and Jake Taylor can also fill in at RB which leads me to this conclusion. Im actually a bigger fan of Sweeney than some on here but can also see why MT thinks its time for him to move on.

It looks like MT is trying to assemble a really strong starting 11 and then use the youth coming through as cover this year which during the current climate will make sense.

Lets hope we can replicate what Crewe have been able to do!!

dontpassback

Martin from reading and listening to all of MT's interviews it sounds like there is space and money for the two priority signings that he wants to bring in hence why he has been pushing ahead with this and had players down to visit the training ground.

The players that MT has said can leave would free space for additional signings from what I have been told, but due to the fact that none of the players have found new clubs as of yet there won't be any additional signings past these two priority ones until this does happen. Either way I'm just happy that there is the scope for MT to bring in the CB and RB that he wants....hopefully!!

Like you said the players that MT has said can leave may not want to and may try to stay and prove him wrong if they don't get a suitable deal for themselves elsewhere which they are totally entitled to do. I actually think this was the case this season with Aaron Martin.

I have no knowledge on this but reading between the lines and the fact that MT has stated he wants a RB and right sided CB I would assume that Sweeney may be one of the players told to move on. Jordan Dyer and Will Dean can provide cover at RB and RCB and Jake Taylor can also fill in at RB which leads me to this conclusion. Im actually a bigger fan of Sweeney than some on here but can also see why MT thinks its time for him to move on.

It looks like MT is trying to assemble a really strong starting 11 and then use the youth coming through as cover this year which during the current climate will make sense.

Lets hope we can replicate what Crewe have been able to do!!
Yes,would be very happy if we could emulate Crewe,excellent record of young players coming through

ryancooper327

So. Any guesses who these potentials are?

StudentGrecian

So. Any guesses who these potentials are?
I know it's old and lazy to suggest former players, but Scot Bennett wouldn't be too far away from MT's description of a CB he likes. I know that MT left before Bennett made an impact on the first team, but I'm sure he's seen enough of him over the past couple of years.
Can't see us signing released League One players (this early in the window anyway), but Bennett could be a reliable yet cheaper option to provide some experience and leadership to support the youngsters coming through in our back line. Still only 29 too.

Rosencrantz

I know it's old and lazy to suggest former players, but Scot Bennett wouldn't be too far away from MT's description of a CB he likes. I know that MT left before Bennett made an impact on the first team, but I'm sure he's seen enough of him over the past couple of years.
Can't see us signing released League One players (this early in the window anyway), but Bennett could be a reliable yet cheaper option to provide some experience and leadership to support the youngsters coming through in our back line. Still only 29 too.
I like Scot and he is a good honest pro. Will Dean is already there though and a similar style player if less experienced and more mobile. I feel it will be a younger, fitter version of Gary Warren or right sided Parkes. Whether that's possible is another matter.

Of course what Matt is really looking for is himself circa 2008 😉.

Liam Shepherd is being linked with Cheltenham last I saw. Good right back, was injury hit last season though I believe. Of course it will probably be two we haven't thought of or heard of 🙂. None of Matt's signings have been obvious ones so far.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Scot Bennett is far too slow and not very tall.