• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
But at least there's always the sun..
And the Daily Heil
And the Torygraph
And the Daily Excess....

Still lots of the SSM* for them to cower behind (and keep our West Devon correspondent supplied with quotable b.s.)

*ShameStream Media.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, the Toriy Party wouldn't want to bite the hands of the oligarchs that feed it, would they?
I don't recall Mr Corbyn being too keen to call Russia out over the Salisbury incident, practically said they were innoi

IndoMike

I mean the traditional High street is dying. The city centre can live if it is regenerated And I mean multi -storey apartment buildings. Good quality buildings, not those awful tower blocks.
The apartment building has a subterranean car park, with maybe 3-4 levels, then ground floor to 3rd-4th floor is the shopping mall, then above that for example 20 floors for apartments. This is standard in many countries.
Accommodating so many apartments,shops and carparks in one area creates space around it for parks and other amenities.
In Exeter, for example, the only decent area imo is from the old Woolworths up to Boots + the area where the old blue boy used to be. South St, North St, Sidwell St are not attractive shopping areas
Another advantage of the mall is that it is all weather : you can drive there, shop, hang out, and go home without getting wet or cold. It would also attract folks from all.over Devon
I don't understand why there is a limit to the height of buildings. It is a much more practical way to use space.
Looks like others are starting to agree with my proposal:

IndoMike

Reading more on the Grenfell Tower inquiry. It is clear that each party iinvolved in the installation of the flammable cladding is trying to pass the buck on to another.

It is clear that profit rather than safety was the overriding issue.

Those who are proven to have turned a blind eye to the dangers inherent in the cladding, - i.e.manufacturers, achitects and other relevant parties- should be charged with manslaughter and given the appropriate prison sentences.

I'm tired of seeing people "getting away with it" simply because the system values business and profit more than it values the safety and well-being of its people.

People are still living in tower blocks with
the same type of cladding. Can you imagine what that must be like?

DB9

6 months too late but he might be finally getting it and how serious this is, Amazing what trailing in the polls can do, If this were after November's election he wouldn't give a stuff.

IndoMike

Make sure you get your new passports. I would order them 5 years before you need them because you can be absolutely sure there will be major c#ckups as hundreds of thousands
of Brits apply for them.
Posted September 2019

Yep. Good advice from yours truly. Hundreds of thousands are waiting in line for a new passport. World-beating British bureaucracy

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Posted September 2019

Yep. Good advice from yours truly. Hundreds of thousands are waiting in line for a new passport. World-beating British bureaucracy
Mike, that's just plain silly.

You complain they didn't shut down quick enough or hard enough, and then blame them for not getting passports out on time.

This has nothing to do with anything other than the pandemic, as the issues with work would still exist, red or blue passport.

IndoMike

Mike, that's just plain silly.

You complain they didn't shut down quick enough or hard enough, and then blame them for not getting passports out on time.

This has nothing to do with anything other than the pandemic, as the issues with work would still exist, red or blue passport.
Historically there have been issues with passport processing. BREXIT will amplify those problems. Covid of course will have a further impact, although you'd think working from home would be possible since these are bureaucratic operations mainly done online.
In 2014 for example there were long delays
with passport processing and when the chief passport officer was asked why he said "I don't know why".
My advice to renew your passport as soon as you can is good advice, considering there is an alleged backlog of 400,000.
When I renewed my passport from here the process was that it had to go to Hong Kong then to the UK before it was
returned. That was the rule and it was very expensive. AnY normal person would ask why couldn't it be sent direct to the UK? In the old days you could get it done simply at the the Consulate.
Now that they have this outsourced "Border Agency" it's all got farked up and probably is even more bureaucratic and time - consuming . Bureaucracy in the UK is a nightmare.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Bureaucracy in the UK is a nightmare.
Bureaucratic nightmare available in plenty of other countries Indo.

Just for a bit of perspective like

IndoMike

Bureaucratic nightmare available in plenty of other countries Indo.

Just for a bit of perspective like
But two wrongs don't make a right, remember.
And most countries don't claim to have world - beating this and world - beating that.
The latest is apparently we have world- beating security....🙄