• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have they been accepted into a league yet?
Some information here...

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/18569475.bury-phoenix-club-narrow-manager-hunt-final-eight/

I'd be amazed if the old club are allowed in to the National League with Steve Dale still in charge. Otherwise it looks like the North West Counties League for the phoenix club although not playing at Gigg Lane, sharing with Radcliffe FC.

Reactions: DB9

Legohead

Banned
The integrity of football and the structure of the leagues has been tested these past few years with probably half of the clubs having financial problems at some stage or other.

The reason for this is poor management of clubs by owners.

I want to see a football pyramid that doesn't have stories about seemingly every other club having a financial problem every week due to mismanagement and thus turning the leagues into a farce. A lot more likely with the likes of Dale Vince, Peter Swann at Scunny and John Radford at Mansfield spraying cash around than any fan owned / run club.

This is my point.

I couldn't care less if the likes of FGR go under. I care about the integrity of football and it's leagues.

DB9

The integrity of football and the structure of the leagues has been tested these past few years with probably half of the clubs having financial problems at some stage or other.

The reason for this is poor management of clubs by owners.

I want to see a football pyramid that doesn't have stories about seemingly every other club having a financial problem every week due to mismanagement and thus turning the leagues into a farce. A lot more likely with the likes of Dale Vince, Peter Swann at Scunny and John Radford at Mansfield spraying cash around than any fan owned / run club.

This is my point.

I couldn't care less if the likes of FGR go under. I care about the integrity of football and it's leagues.
The football authorities have to take a fair slice of the blame. If you want this utopian idea for football you will have to take all clubs out of private owners hands and I'm afraid that will never happen at a professional level.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
The problem with all this is that it is idealistic, not slightly realistic.

If you take away the money man you will have the wealthy at the top, and the poor at the bottom. Same clubs winning year after year, and the same clubs being promoted/relegated year after year, with the occasional exceptions.

If it isn't idiots putting their money in, we'll be swamped with leeches taking it out.

Legohead

Banned
I fully accept that my view is idealistic and never going to happen in a million years but its how I want football to be. Therefore I cannot support owners like Vince et al. Just my view.

DB9 and others you do make some valid points most definately.

If only there was a footballing utopia, the sport would be a much better place for it minus the likes of Vince and others. Sadly there isn't though and thus not even a pandemic will stop and make owners think going into the future.

It's almost as if lessons haven't been learned and football carries on how it always has. Wigan the latest basket case but sadly not the last.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely an owner is entitled to do exactly what they want ith their own money? If FGR & Mansfield have the funds to aquire players, Even during these uncertain times then that's up to them and not for others to demonise. We as a club do not have the finances of most clubs ie an owner who has a few quid, We've accepted that for nearly 20 years since we've became fans owned, I can't imagine those that run our club gripe on about other clubs finances, They all know the score and get on with things, If our budget is not as big as others then so be it, We can't change that. Football is like any other business, Some have shed loads and some not so much. If all we do is worry about how much others are (Alledgly) spending, Why is that? We can't do anything about it, We just have to get on with it if people know for a fact how much these clubs have to spend then please tell us, Otherwise their predictions of bankruptcy for these clubs is based on nothing.
Does FFP not apply to these clubs?!

DB9

Does FFP not apply to these clubs?!
FFP is a rule brought in by FIFA/UEFA to help sort of "Even" things out, But in reality it was a couple of "Quangos" trying to tell private businesses (Football Clubs) how to spend their own money and how they go about their business, After Man City won their appeal it showed in a free market you can't do that, If anyone on here has or had a business, Would you want to be told how you do things or how you spend your money?

robchave

The reality is that football is never going to be either totally 'fans owned' nor a number of privately owned, free-market businesses. Football supporters are not just 'customers'. However, regulation will always be difficult because the regulators are representatives of the owners themselves - unless the government steps in and, quite frankly, they've got a lot better things to do with their time, especially at the moment.
If we want some degree of 'fair play', it has to be based around the owners ability to 'lend' money to the club. As clubs and owners are not really separate entities, the club is not able to make an arms-length decision, based on real-world economics. Consequently, they will always be exposed to the whims of owners who, at any time, can pull their money out, effectively collapsing the club.
Rich people should be able to 'invest' in football, if they wish. But money 'invested' should be genuinely put into the club and not be just 'lent', whilst they have their fun.

DB9

The reality is that football is never going to be either totally 'fans owned' nor a number of privately owned, free-market businesses. Football supporters are not just 'customers'. However, regulation will always be difficult because the regulators are representatives of the owners themselves - unless the government steps in and, quite frankly, they've got a lot better things to do with their time, especially at the moment.
If we want some degree of 'fair play', it has to be based around the owners ability to 'lend' money to the club. As clubs and owners are not really separate entities, the club is not able to make an arms-length decision, based on real-world economics. Consequently, they will always be exposed to the whims of owners who, at any time, can pull their money out, effectively collapsing the club.
Rich people should be able to 'invest' in football, if they wish. But money 'invested' should be genuinely put into the club and not be just 'lent', whilst they have their fun.
Again telling rich people what to do with their own money and investment is what happened to the UK as a whole in the 70's when rich people were taxed up to the tune of 98% and they all buggered off with their money and left the country virtually bankrupt. If you ask fans what they want in and owner/club success and money invested would be in the top two.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Farren Dawson once of FGR now signed for Mansfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.