• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Teams we've not played.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm glad t
I believe there are 5 who we have played in a league game but never won. Canvey Island and Telford (both conference), and West Brom and Wolves (drawn 1 and lost 3 against each). Nottingham Forest is the final one (2 draws and 2 losses).
I'm glad the only time I went to the Hawthorns, this was the result
31 Oct 1973West Bromwich Albion v Exeter CityL1-3League Cup

Boyo

I believe there are 5 who we have played in a league game but never won. Canvey Island and Telford (both conference), and West Brom and Wolves (drawn 1 and lost 3 against each). Nottingham Forest is the final one (2 draws and 2 losses).
Great knowledge. I knew West Brom and should have guessed at Wolves. I never knew we'd played Forest in the league.

andrew p long

I'm glad t

I'm glad the only time I went to the Hawthorns, this was the result
31 Oct 1973West Bromwich Albion v Exeter CityL1-3League Cup
Indeed . Though we haven’t beaten WBA in the league we have beaten them twice at the Hawthorns. That game and the Autoglass win in 1992 . And I was at both ( though admittedly by 92 it was the closest league ground to my home)

budegrecian

I remember the 31st October 73 very well. Bunked off school to go up to the game with my Father & Brother in Law. Got there early & arrived at the ground just as the players were arriving & got Fred Binney's autograph.
Then the game; what a performance. The chanting of 'Binney for England' was just fantastic.

Oldsmobile-88

A team who the Grecians have not lost to in the Football League is Blackburn Rovers..Only played them in the 3rd Division in 79/80..won 2-0 at SJP & drew 1-1 at Ewood Park.

Of course played them a few times in cup competitions.They have not beaten the Grecians at SJP,inc a couple of memorable League Cup wins in 1978 & 1989.

budegrecian

A team who the Grecians have not lost to in the Football League is Blackburn Rovers..Only played them in the 3rd Division in 79/80..won 2-0 at SJP & drew 1-1 at Ewood Park.

Of course played them a few times in cup competitions.They have not beaten the Grecians at SJP,inc a couple of memorable League Cup wins in 1978 & 1989.
Didn't see the home game as I was playing for Morwenstow in the grandly named North Devon Premier League. But IIRC the headline in the Sunday Independent, the following day, was something like 'Red hot City burn Rovers' (how the hell do I remember that?). I believe that Blackburn had won something like the previous 10 games on the trot & we supposedly had no chance...., ultimately they got promoted.

grecIAN Harris

I remember the home leg if the 89 League Cup win. Clive Whitehead did Terry Gennoe in the Blackburn goal early on and we never looked back culminating with a cracking team goal from Chris Vinnicombe.

Oldsmobile-88

I remember the home leg if the 89 League Cup win. Clive Whitehead did Terry Gennoe in the Blackburn goal early on and we never looked back culminating with a cracking team goal from Chris Vinnicombe.
That was some goal.

Yep,Whitehead ‘did a number’on Gennoe.
I don’t think he was even cautioned for the foul...Frank Stapleton went in goal,which was handy for the Grecian back 4 😁

Oldsmobile-88

Didn't see the home game as I was playing for Morwenstow in the grandly named North Devon Premier League. But IIRC the headline in the Sunday Independent, the following day, was something like 'Red hot City burn Rovers' (how the hell do I remember that?). I believe that Blackburn had won something like the previous 10 games on the trot & we supposedly had no chance...., ultimately they got promoted.
They had won 14 of the previous 15 prior to the defeat at SJP on 12/4/80.
The game in that run which they did not win was against the Grecians at Ewood Park.
Dick Forbes & Steve Neville scored in the win at SJP in front of 5,407 which lifted the the Grecians to 7th.

That was a good season at SJP against former illustrious names in the Football League.Both Sheffield teams were beaten on home turf as well.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A team the Grecians have not played for a while(40 years) is Barnsley.
They were regular visitors to SJP from the mid 1960s & aside from the obvious game between the teams,I can remember them being beaten 6-1 at SJP around 1973.
Promotion season 76/77 at Oakwood 3-0 down at half time great come back winning 4-3. Part of our incredible finish to the season last 13 games 11 wins 1 draw and 1 defeat 0-1 away to Brentford.