• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Budget 2020-21

Intheknow84

Looking who has gone I would estimate the following players released were on the following period:

Moxey 3k
Holmes 2k
Woodman 1.5k
Warren 1k
Dickensen 1.5k
Lee Martin 2k
Aaron Martin 1.5k
Thompson £400

I would make that around 13k per week we have back in the budget....
from what MT said the budget has been frozen so I would expect we could add 3 quality players to the squad and maybe a loan....
I think it might be good tactical management saying we have no money etc to strike better deals etc

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I doubt Moxey was on £3k.

Intheknow84

heard he was top earner At the time signed by ‘tis‘ on 3 year deal

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's no question that Covid will have a sizeable impact on our budget next season but it will affect many other teams more than it will us and hopefully we can take advantage. If we can pay just a few hundred quid more a week to players than other teams can offer then we may be able to get our first chiuce targets for a change!

Budget is not the be all and end all at this level. Look at what Accrington achieved on allegedly one of the lowest budgets in league football

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wouldn't have been far off it. At least Moxey played and always gave 100%. Ajose has earned 3k+ a week and hes done jack. I think I saw him skip around for 90 mins at SJP one Saturday afternoon earlier in the year but I'm not sure I've seen him kick the ball yet.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Could be an opportunity to look into the non league and get a real bargain...MT did say he may have to look further afield, so I hope he’s not just focusing on players released by L1 and 2 clubs

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the OP completely misreads the position and MT’s comment about the budget being ‘frozen’ . What MT was told was that he couldn’t make any new commitments to anyone. There is no way we would be able to afford last year’s budget. Remember we were budgeted to lose 600 k last season. At present we have had no income from games for three months and lost a quarter of the income from home games by having the last five home games cancelled. We have no idea when we will have crowds back to SJP

MT has said he doesn’t yet know what the budget he will eventually be given but IIRC hopes to make ‘one or two‘ signings. He has warned we will have to rely more on youngsters and that next season will be of transition and that we are unlikely to be able to challenge as much as this season.

MT has tried to rejig his remaining budget a bit by getting rid of Steve Hale as goalkeeping coach. That is where we are; unable to offer anything to anyone out of contract and cutting jobs elsewhere.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the OP completely misreads the position and MT’s comment about the budget being ‘frozen’ . What MT was told was that he couldn’t make any new commitments to anyone. There is no way we would be able to afford last year’s budget. Remember we were budgeted to lose 600 k last season. At present we have had no income from games for three months and lost a quarter of the income from home games by having the last five home games cancelled. We have no idea when we will have crowds back to SJP

MT has said he doesn’t yet know what the budget he will eventually be given but IIRC hopes to make ‘one or two‘ signings. He has warned we will have to rely more on youngsters and that next season will be of transition and that we are unlikely to be able to challenge as much as this season.

MT has tried to rejig his remaining budget a bit by getting rid of Steve Hale as goalkeeping coach. That is where we are; unable to offer anything to anyone out of contract and cutting jobs elsewhere.
I make you spot on.

Somewhere in the excellent article which appeared on the Athletic website, there was a reference to next season's budget being 'frozen'. I can't help wondering if Matt Taylor mis-spoke when he said this, or maybe the journo simply misunderstood, because, as you rightly point out, it seems inconceivable next season's budget will be anywhere near that for the season just gone.

If this is indeed the case then, it seems to me, it might be useful if the club and / or Trust could provide some kind of clarification ASAP.

Devonboy

A sad situation if true but one that faces almost all clubs in L2 and L1 (those without sugar daddies).

Very challenging for any manager to plan in those circumstances.

Hopefully there is some leeway/budget to replace released players

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I make you spot on.

Somewhere in the excellent article which appeared on the Athletic website, there was a reference to next season's budget being 'frozen'. I can't help wondering if Matt Taylor mis-spoke when he said this, or maybe the journo simply misunderstood, because, as you rightly point out, it seems inconceivable next season's budget will be anywhere near that for the season just gone.

If this is indeed the case then, it seems to me, it might be useful if the club and / or Trust could provide some kind of clarification ASAP.
It seems to me that the budget is currently "frozen" in terms of what we are already committed to spend (IE those already under contract). Matt is waiting for the club to finalise the actual budget but is not expecting much more leeway, so just the one or two unless he can get creative and free up some budget. Frozen probably wasn't the best term to use in this case as most would take it to mean "stays the same from last season".

I guess the club are waiting to hear what is happening in order to set the said budget. They can't very well commit to much more than they have without key information available about income. It could well be a movable beast depending on when and how supporters are let back in to grounds. If that is the case, they need to give the transfer window a break until things get back to somewhere near normal as clubs might well be able to increase budgets with many players available but the transfer window closed.