• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2019/20 Retained List.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
We played against a full strength Pompey side in the FLT with kids and they very nearly pulled it off. I say put them in.
It certainly showed what they can do when they have experience next to them. For me our man of the match that night was a toss up between Harry Kite and Gary Warren. I'd love them to hit the ground running and back up my previous bigging up of them. I think that's why I have gone all cautious/realistic (delete as appropriate) all of a sudden. I still enjoy watching Shep play at Tivvy 😉.

dontpassback

I would like to wish all the players concerned good luck whatever they do,and especially lee Holmes,woody and Deano who have all given us some good performances over the years,now it’s up Matt to get the youth/experience mix right.

Grecianpasty

I'm not surprised with any of those players being released, including A Martin. The vast majority of those players where high wage earners and besides from moxey and the Martins not that many games.

I'm excited at the prospect of having a youthful team next year. Its going to be a transitional year for the club and we all need to recognise that. Yes that means setting our priority for survival in league Two, but thats how life is at the moment with the lack of finances available to us. You never know, we might have wonderful defenders in chieck diabate, Alex hartidge and Jordan dyer. We already have two wonderful midfielders in Jack sparkes and archie Collins. Whose to say that kite and Randall won't push through next year?

The only BIG concern is upfront. We have a lot of experience up there with very little quality.

Excited nonetheless UTC

Red Devon

I'm not surprised with any of those players being released, including A Martin. The vast majority of those players where high wage earners and besides from moxey and the Martins not that many games.

I'm excited at the prospect of having a youthful team next year. Its going to be a transitional year for the club and we all need to recognise that. Yes that means setting our priority for survival in league Two, but thats how life is at the moment with the lack of finances available to us. You never know, we might have wonderful defenders in chieck diabate, Alex hartidge and Jordan dyer. We already have two wonderful midfielders in Jack sparkes and archie Collins. Whose to say that kite and Randall won't push through next year?

The only BIG concern is upfront. We have a lot of experience up there with very little quality.

Excited nonetheless UTC
Yes rectifying our goal scoring problem up front is as much a cause for concern as finding this brick out house type centre half.. any team that struggle for goals will also struggle to win football matches...already a Bowman/Fisher combination doesn’t look good to me.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps we'll re-sign A Martin near the start of the season, if he hasn't found another club, but we can't afford to keep him on right now

Red Devon

Perhaps we'll re-sign A Martin near the start of the season, if he hasn't found another club, but we can't afford to keep him on right now
Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Rosencrantz

Only if Matt can't get the type of centre back he really wants which I think would be unlikely.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn't Smerdon a left back? I know he was out on loan and can't see he has been released....
He was playing LB, LWB and LM for Tiverton last season. Raw but fast and the potential is there.

budegrecian

There's nothing better than seeing Academy players come through & make it into the first team & I'm more than willing to give them a bit slack. MT is, cleverly, talking about a transitional season to lower expectations & take the pressure off the youngsters. But don't be surprised to see us there or there abouts, again next season.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just watched Matt T discussing the non-retainees and must admit to having a tear (or two) thinking about the contributions they have made to our fan owned club over the years plus the special memories they have collectively / individually given us over recent years - it is never good when your 'family' split up.
Having said that I am certain that all of those released will understand the circumstances and wish us all the best to survive the future as Grecians would to them - 'Once a Grecian Always a Grecian' !

More than ever Covid 19 means that our future depends more than ever on the outputs of our Academy which we have Taggy & Co to thank for their foresight - given our U23 performances last season I believe we have exciting times ahead but all Grecians need to allow time for their transition from U23 to full League football.

UTC