• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Financial Problems at the FA

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If we thought the FA could bail out lower league football then it is not going to happen

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately not at all surprised.

A few lean years coming for the FA & teams below the top two tiers of the professional game.

No wonder when you use Wembley to host a League 2 play-off final (with no fans allowed). The saving made, if they had played the game at Ashton Gate (half-way between Northampton & Exeter?), would probably have paid for the Covid testing of the teams involved in the play-offs.

I hope that the person that made this sort of decision has found his P45 on the door mat this morning

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
No wonder when you use Wembley to host a League 2 play-off final (with no fans allowed). The saving made, if they had played the game at Ashton Gate (half-way between Northampton & Exeter?), would probably have paid for the Covid testing of the teams involved in the play-offs.

I hope that the person that made this sort of decision has found his P45 on the door mat this morning
As I understand it, holding the game at Wembley was only slightly more expensive. Presumably because of the existing contractual relationship, TV & other infrastructure already in place, ease of social distancing, etc?

Also all the clubs wanted to play it there, so the players can say they played at Wembley (cue gallows humour re. our players...)

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we thought the FA could bail out lower league football then it is not going to happen

Mmmm. £300 million shortfall. Chelsea pay £50 million for 1 player. Something not right there.
A 5% levy on all transfers might help

I'd like to see a breakdown of where the 124 job losses are. What % of the FA workforce is that?
As is usual, I suspect it is the lower community coaches that will be sacrificed whilst the execs continue to trouser it.

andrew p long

Mmmm. £300 million shortfall. Chelsea pay £50 million for 1 player. Something not right there.
A 5% levy on all transfers might help

I'd like to see a breakdown of where the 124 job losses are. What % of the FA workforce is that?
As is usual, I suspect it is the lower community coaches that will be sacrificed whilst the execs continue to trouser it.
Yes, lots of mentions of redundancies for the less powerful, no mention of pay cuts for the highest paid.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Yes, lots of mentions of redundancies for the less powerful, no mention of pay cuts for the highest paid.
Of course the top pigs in that trough wont want to miss out on their highly paid wages , I bet most of the high earners could take a 10% pay cut and save having to let lower paid staff members try and find a new career in these times !

LOG

My employer used to do some work for a county FA and whilst the area they covered wasn't really a footballing hotbed, they got very little funding from up top. They only had 3/4 full time employees, all on pretty low salaries.

I think there's a bit of a misconception that all footballing bodies have bottomless pockets when they really don't and that's because the Premier League has most of it.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Premier League was originally known as The FA Premier League so you would have thought they'd have managed to siphon off some of Murdoch's dosh.

Langer

I’ve always thought of it as a jobs for the boys closed shop employer at the top anyway.