• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

Ash

Yer tiz then boys. I started the City v Colchester thread, which worked out quite well! So here's hoping for the same kind of luck in this, the biggest of games.

I've got a good feeling about this game, what with all those wonderful cardboard Wembley 'attendee's.

UTC
Don't you dare start another one for a long time!

Gareth

Maxted
My mum, a large football lover from her days in the south west made a good point.

Some of the team yesterday were out of contract, maybe Matt should have sorted their futures out before the game?
Players like Moxey were going into that game downright knowing it would be their last....
If it was my last game I’d want to play really well, particularly last game in my professional career.

Gareth

MT said in the interview that ‘a few of the players have got hidden demons from the Wembley appearance two years ago’. I wonder who and how many he is talking about.

Eight of the starting eleven had been signed since our last Wembley Appearance (Bowman, Fisher,Williams,Law, Atangana, Richardson, Martin A and Maxted).

that leaves only three, Jake Taylor, Deano and Sweeney.
That’s very interesting. I was disappointed with the team last night but angry with the three you’ve mentioned. I feel a real sadness that Deano has ended his city career like that. Taylor and sweeney... maybe I’m being unfair but I really don’t want to see either of them in an Exeter shirt again. Sweeney is the worse of the two but Taylor being captain opens him up to more criticism. They seem like nice enough guys but unfortunately you’re here to do a job and you’ve really let yourselves, the fans and the club down. You should have been the three players rallying the team after your previous shit outings at Wembley but instead two of you bottled it and the third most experienced player lost his head ... Deano, thanks for the all you’ve done for the club, great memories of your first spell... Taylor and Sweeney ... you’ve had your fun but we need the shirts and armband back. Do the right thing and **** off now.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jake Taylor has just posted this on Twitter

milts

Jake Taylor has just posted this on Twitter
View attachment 3019
Words are cheap.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Words are cheap.
Perhaps but if no one says anything then the players would be criticised. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

milts

True. Jake was one of the biggest let downs last night sadly. Bottled it for a 3rd year.

Turning back on their player for the first goal set the tone for the rest of the match unfortunately

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Words are cheap.
They are but genuine contrition is important and respectful. I’m pleased Jake has said what he’s said. Words are easy but he didn’t have to say them and I’m glad he did. Just need about 10 others to do the same now. The only players who I can look at right now are Maxted, Collins and Sparkes. I can’t stay mad at Bowman for long though, and the service he got was awful, so he’ll be ok for me tomorrow.

milts

They are but genuine contrition is important and respectful. I’m pleased Jake has said what he’s said. Words are easy but he didn’t have to say them and I’m glad he did. Just need about 10 others to do the same now. The only players who I can look at right now are Maxted, Collins and Sparkes. I can’t stay mad at Bowman for long though, and the service he got was awful, so he’ll be ok for me tomorrow.
Agree the service was non existent but he had a golden chance just before halftime.

Why didn’t he just hit it? Should have been full of confidence after the semifinal.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know you weren't Al. I'm still fumming over that 'performance' just like Fred still fumes about Liverpool.
#stillfuming(twice)