• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clear out?

Matt Phillips

MT already talking about adding more physically and men to the squad
I think this was probably as much of an emotional response from Taylor to what happened last night as some of the takes on here.

Taylor needs to nail down how he wants us to play and what his philosophy is. If he wants us to be a physical "running" team, like he said when he joined, then he needs to move players on who don't fit that - which unfortunately would be someone like Law. Trying to match them physically last night meant Law wasn't in the game until we brought Collins on and tried to retain possession. Since Taylor joined we've been a "running" team, a "direct" team, a "passing" team and a "physical" team. He's tried to make elements work together with the inverted wing-backs, but that leaves us so exposed on a bigger pitch, something he clearly didn't learn from Port Vale away when our season collapsed. Whilst I admire having some tactical versatility, as others have said, we need to play to our own strengths not try to combat others, and then build a coherent squad around that.

donkey

Defence is the area I'd be looking to improve first. We kept 15 clean sheets in league games but none in the last 12 games including the play-offs.

Of those 25 games we conceded; 1 (10 times), 2 (8), 3 (5), 4 (2).
So in 15 of those 25 we ended up conceding more than once. That's far too many times for a side wanting to be promoted.

Compare that to Crewe (who conceded the same number of goals in the league) and it's; 1 (22 times), 2 (2), 3 (4), 4 (1)

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
From Matt's interview it seems Parkes was behind in training which I guess is a euphemism for tested positive. Matt I think will be on the look out again for a centre back in his own mold as that was missing last night. A younger version of Gary Warren would actually be handy. Combative and vocal.

For all Jonny Maxted undoubtedly made some good saves last night, I would like to have seen him come out and take some of the high balls into our box when it was obvious we were struggling to win any first contacts.

Our best midfield this season has normally been Archie and Nige. I don't think there is much wrong with that combination. It would be good if Bowman could have a consistent strike partner next season.

As Matt has said, more youngsters will be in the squad next season, that will bring out some more inconsistencies in the short term, but hopefully long term rewards. He will need to target the right areas of the squad to strengthen but I would only expect two or three signings.

arthur

The "I need more men" comment was about psychological resilience rather than brute strength

DB9

As Matt has said, more youngsters will be in the squad next season, that will bring out some more inconsistencies in the short term, but hopefully long term rewards. He will need to target the right areas of the squad to strengthen but I would only expect two or three signings.
We'll be in a catch 22 with the youngsters, They'll either be not up to entertain the usual L2 sloggers and will struggle or if they're any good, They'll get snapped up by a better or bigger club. Not a critisim but the nature of the beast as that's what we do to survive without a sole owner.

Number13

I always enjoy a "Clear Out?" thread

Firstly, you can't clear out those on contract so before the thread can even get going, we need to know FOR SURE who is out of contract

My assumption is that its only 2/3 "First Team" players and 4/5 of the "kids" who got Pro deals but we've now decided aren't any good

Secondly, the only people that will leave will be the better players who we don't actually want to "clear out", - Williams, Collins, maybe even Ward if he is now considered "No2"

So if Sweeney, Atangana, Martin, Bowman, Fisher et al have deals for next year then we'll be seeing them in our team for 2020/21 which will begin in September with crowds assuming no second spike (we already know non-league will start with crowds then)

So then you have to work out which of those we can persist with actually in the team and which will just run down their contracts on the bench

You also have to work out how many of the kids can do it week in week out not just in a cup tie they have been preparing for for weeks against other out of team opponents. Sparkes and Collins clearly have something but we have to be careful thinking that Seymour, Randall etc are the answer just because they are "one of our own"

dommers

Sparkes and Collins clearly have something but we have to be careful thinking that Seymour, Randall etc are the answer just because they are "one of our own"
The problem is Taylor will never know as he seems so reluctant to try. I can't Seymour would be worse that Ajose, although I'd question whether can get anything out of a player who's under 6ft.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The problem is Taylor will never know as he seems so reluctant to try. I can't Seymour would be worse that Ajose, although I'd question whether can get anything out of a player who's under 6ft.
I haven't seen anything that suggests Ben Seymour will be any good in our first team in League 2.

LDNGrecian

I also assumed Dickenson was out of contract too.
Nope still got a deal for next year.

Leaves us with

Ward, Maxted

Sweeney, Parkes, Hartridge, Sparkes

Law, Collins, Atangana, Taylor, Williams, Dickenson, Jay, Randall

Bowman, Fisher, Ajose, Seymour

Looks like Defence needs some work!

Legohead

Banned
So we're left with two dodgy keepers, no defence and no attack. Superb. :p