• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clear out?

ChardGrecian

Last night was dreadful and embarrassing but through the season we played well at times and quite a few other supporters said we were the best team they had seen so in my book not all is wrong. We could not deal with a physical side and should have played our own game but now surgery is needed to move forward. Remember what the youngsters did against Pompey who are in the league 1 play offs we need to build on this and get rid of some who are their sell by date - Moxey, Sweeney, Taylor. Seriously review if our youngsters can replace others - both Martins, Dickenson and Atangana Get decent striker to play off Bowman - if we are stuck with Ajose then he must deliver and he may benefit from younger energetic players. I personally don’t want to see us pick up big bulky league 2 players to combat teams like Northampton but to play football with energy, pace and endeavour.

tonykellowfan

My view is that actually there is not much wrong with our attack. Bowman with Jay/Law and support from wingers/wing backs like Williams/Sparkes is good enough to get automatic promotion.

We are losing games in centre midfield where we cannot get players up and down quick enough to support the defence or attack as required.

I think as a priority we have sign a very highly quality centre midfielder to play alongside Collins.

LDNGrecian

Players out of contract are Holmes, Woodman, both Martins, Thompson, Warren and Deano.

Only one I would want to keep is Aaron Martin

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Actually I wouldn’t be surprised to see Northampton put in a bid for Ryan Bowman this summer he is taylor made for the way they play.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
As elated as I was with our victory over Argyle last season I was equally as disappointed with last nights efforts which makes it all the more frustrating.

Listening to Matt I believe that is the last we see of Deano in a City shirt, and is such a shame that his last match saw him being sent off at Wembley, that said he needs to go, as do all the others who are out of contract, to enable us to free up some salaries and restructure our team around players already contracted (such a shame that Sweeney is on an extended contract, nice guy but nothing more really than league two squad player)

I also believe we need to look at the captaincy, as I don't see Jake as a leader on the pitch, again last night he was missing for long period of time, and his turning away for their first goal is still haunting me.

On the positive side we are not a bad side as has been proved over the season, that said we are not a strong physical defensive side which was part of our downfall last night, particularly as the midfield was so ineffective, and they were bombarded throughout the game.

Listening to the analysers after the match you would think we are a one player team and that if the opposition take care of Randel then we are ineffective, which is not too far from the truth in these playoffs. It may not be a bad thing if he was sold in the summer and therefore in our rebuild we need to build to have more options going forward. Interesting times ahead

Legohead

Banned
Actually I wouldn’t be surprised to see Northampton put in a bid for Ryan Bowman this summer he is taylor made for the way they play.
Shame our own Taylor wasn't able to spot this. To think how many more goals Bowman would have scored if he had actual service.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Players out of contract are Holmes, Woodman, both Martins, Thompson, Warren and Deano.

Only one I would want to keep is Aaron Martin
Not Moxey?
My bad see him at the end soz
I wouldn't keep any.
Isn't Dickenson also up?

Red Devon

Shame our own Taylor wasn't able to spot this. To think how many more goals Bowman would have scored if he had actual service.
Yes, I know it’s well trodden ground but Bowman has suffered from not having a decent strike partner alongside him.

arthur

I think we could do with getting hold of a few proper ball winners in the mold of James Dunne. He wasn't physically imposing but he could mix it with anyone and play football. I think there needs to be stronger leadership on the pitch, someone that leads from the front and isn't afraid to ruffle feathers or read the riot act when required, do what it says on the tin, lead the team.
A number 4, in other words, the pivot of the team - 5 players in front of him and five behind. Absolutely crucial.

At the moment Atangana has this shirt, literally and metaphorically. I had high hopes for him and have been hugely impressed with him at times, but he went missing yesterday. As a result the three man midfield that had snuffed out Colchester was a shadow of its previous self .

Build a team from the back. A good back four with Petit/Viera type combo in front gives you a solid platform and four more players to make up a flexible, fluent attack. Atangana/Collins works for me, but only if Nige can explain to Taylor what happened to his mojo and persuade him that he won't lose it again. I'm sorry, but I don't see the point of Jake Taylor other than as cover for these two.

In another part of the forest I don't think Bowman is good enough as a striker. But in one of the Colchester games he completed a briliant defensive move, winning the ball and bringing it out. He is also a good header of the ball and would have dealt with Oliver last night far better than Sweeney Martin or Moxey. It might be worth reinventing him as a centre half

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not Moxey?
My bad see him at the end soz
I wouldn't keep any.
Isn't Dickenson also up?
I also assumed Dickenson was out of contract too.