• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
MT's Post match interview, Not a happy chap to say the least, Apologies if it's already up here. ( Picture and sound quailty of interview is as bad as our performance)

Like he said in his interview: talk is cheap. That includes him, I’m fed up of hearing him telling us the players are disappointed after each below par performance. As well as expecting the players to perform, that expectation should run to the rest of the staff too.

ryancooper327

I just think that with Northampton's defence (Goode and Turnbull) we could have really unlocked with maybe Seymour/Jay playing quickly on the floor. Fisher and Bowman had no chance. MT got it wrong with his selections. That said, the players picked should have shown more fight. Jake Taylor was terrible, especially for the captain.

Devonboy

Embarrassing result.

Another season of promise and automatic promotion only to slide away at the end - again.

I know the players are gutted by that performance, but it is us supporters who feel it most (given the pattern of recent seasons).

I think that the chances of us getting money from the EFL for the cost of the playoffs are as likely as the match being replayed due to a technicality. None.

Okay. Deep breath. Look forward to next year.

Dannyred

Oh and JT confident of significant help from the EFL to help cover the cost of the playoffs.
I don’t believe that we didn’t make any money from the play offs.

Coppers

I don’t believe that we didn’t make any money from the play offs.
How could we have possibly made any money? We have been paying the players since beginning of June with no income other than about 10k from a few cardboard cutouts. There was no TV money.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well I have PTSD after that performance. That was horrific.

We couldn't compete with their players in pretty much every part of the pitch, Northampton were deserved winners. I don't understand fans criticising Northampton, they played with skill and desire and focussing on their physical side is missing the point.

I was very disappointed that Collins didn't start, we looked much better when he came on, but after the Moxey sending off we were dead and buried. Atangana has not looked fit to me over the 3 games we have played.

I think now we should be getting rid of the older players and going more for the players who played in the Portsmouth game. I don't see why Seymour and Randall can't be put into the first team.
I wouldn't mind seeing some stats on our win percentage when Archie starts as opposed to Atangana.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
In effect we thought about stopping them too much and not enough about giving them something to think about. Could be.
I agree but as I said earlier in the thread we don't have that many attacking options. In hindsight, not replacing Forte (though I was never a fan) with a player with similar attributes was a mistake.

STURTZ

Agree they looked a League above us in every department...if only we had someone to deliver a ball into the box as good as Nicky Adams, Hoskins is another one who moves the ball very well with clever running....credit to Keith Curle for putting together such a difficult team to play against.
Credit to Keith Curle? Easiest job in the world, his homework consisting of watching our last game highlighting that Williams and Law were the creative spark, keep Richardson on the outside cos he's got no left foot and keep pumping balls into our box as we've not got decent full backs to stop them. Taylor admits we couldn't match them physically so we should have used a team and strategy that played to our own strengths. Playing two gert lummocks up front gave Northampton an extra man in midfield from the start. B

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
...if only we had someone to deliver a ball into the box as good as Nicky Adams.
IMO Jack Sparkes is that player.

Red Devon

I wouldn't mind seeing some stats on our win percentage when Archie starts as opposed to Atangana.
The playoffs have shown how much the awful mid winter SJP playing surface effected Archie’s game...he’s looked so good in the playoffs we may now find it difficult to hang onto him.