• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

StudentGrecian

That's the last we'll have seen of Jayden in a City shirt. It will have been a good experience for him, and a Wembley appearance to boot to take back to Nottm Forest.
Forrest seem to think they have a real player on their hands, I can’t see it personally.
He is quick, but hasn’t been effective going forward for us this season, and don’t start on his defending.
Hope he proves me wrong, but don’t think he’ll be a top level player.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't see any reason why there shouldn't be a massive clear out now. Mind you we didn't have the foggiest how to bypass the four burly defenders that lined up to deal with virtually all our crosses into the box. Perhaps Matt needs some fresh brains to help him out.
Most of the squad is under contract and given the financial state of football teams aren't going to be rushing to take the likes of Taylor and Sweeney of our hands.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It does make me laugh how a ‘massive clearout’ is required when we got the final and finished fifth in the league, when I doubt they’re be the same clamour for change if we’d petered out in mid table.

Tweaks are needed, no doubt, but we’ve got some players in this squad.

Far too much over emotional bull$4!t on here tonight. We got beaten up by a bunch of flat track Billy's. That's the be all and end all of it.

...........and that is the beauty of that phenomenon called 'Wimbledon'! It keeps on cropping up in all its ugly forms!

Pobbop

I'm really not sure why people are talking about the Tisdale finals now, but our Blackpool performance lacked creativity around the box and every time Watkins got it he fluffed it. Blackpool also were a much better side than Northampton, who will go straight back down. For the record, I am really glad Tis is not manager anymore and love Matt Taylor as a manager still.

People were saying this was not worse than cov, I disagreed, it seems a reasonable discussion, we then talked howBlackpool, probably effected Cov. All were shit experiences. cov was actually probably worse for me, as some bloke got glassed on the train, and we had to run to get another one, and we didn't get in til late, whilst I suffered this ignominy on my sofa. Yet it seems an odd world were we wouldn't compare play-off losses, because some kind of stalinest rejection of the idea of talking about lenin/Tisdale.

I made no comment of which manager I preferred, I like (d) them both, and don't feel getting in the top half of the table is ever a bad performance for us, certainly not play-offs.

Timps58

A big disappointment...
Their goalkeeper not making a single save says it all.
Northampton well deserved the win on the day, and that's play offs for you.
Of course like all, I want City to go up. But and with all the COVID and money uncertainty at the moment, and a squad that is not really up to it, I for one think staying down may be for the best.
There are some good players, especially younger ones. There are some of the senior players to keep but some who although they have done well for us, really should move on now. We have a decent young manager too.
For whatever season there is next coming up, we go again.
If it's the last we see of RW, good luck!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
People were saying this was not worse than cov, I disagreed, it seems a reasonable discussion, we then talked howBlackpool, probably effected Cov. All were **** experiences. cov was actually probably worse for me, as some bloke got glassed on the train, and we had to run to get another one, and we didn't get in til late, whilst I suffered this ignominy on my sofa. Yet it seems an odd world were we wouldn't compare play-off losses, because some kind of stalinest rejection of the idea of talking about lenin/Tisdale.

I made no comment of which manager I preferred, I like (d) them both, and don't feel getting in the top half of the table is ever a bad performance for us, certainly not play-offs.
I wasn't taking you to task. I agreed with what you wrote and I was glad you wrote it.

Banksy

Ajose is injured isn't he?
Usually.

arthur

Matt Taylor knows a thousand times more about football tactics and management than I do. But I am utterly mystified by that team selection and formation.

I'm not a fan of 3 5 2 though I concede it might have its place. But against a team like Northamprton, who are going to rain crosses into the box, surely you need pair of competent full backs to "stop the crosses" as that nice Mr Lowe kindly put it. Sweeney was in the right place and it wasn't Taylor's fault that he played extremely badly. But over on the left, wtf was going on?

Blessed with two competent left footed players, who can both defend and get forward to put crosses in, Taylor selects someone who isn't a defender and is so right footed it's unbelievable. So we effectively play the first half with ten men as Richardson a is as ineffective as he always is when played in this position. We are overrun in the first ten minutes and never recover.

But that's not all. Eventually Richardson goes off, Parkes comes on and at last we have a back four with a left back in it. But the postholder is Dean Moxey who has provided a mountain of evidence over the course of the season that while he is a useful left sided centre back, his days as a left back are long behind him. He struggles and gets sent off - game over.

What's so frustrating is that all this was both entirely predictable and entirely preventable. I'm really mystified as to why someone as good as Taylor should make such a glaring misjudgement. If anyone can shed any light on the thinking behind this bizarre team selection I'd really like to hear it

denzel

Any link to an MT interview?