• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wembley?

GrecianExile

Bowman and Fisher or Bowman and Seymour for me

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Bowman Fisher combo worked pretty well against Colchester so I would stick with that.

Matt Jay (not playing too deep) with Bowman would be my second choice.

Bowman Seymour third choice.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Putting an extra body to a five man midfield makes six, does it not? We've played with a five man midfield pretty much all season so it's not too hard to make that assumption.
Well yes it would but that wasn't what I was suggesting.

Matt may surprise me, but I expect Martin, Moxey and Sweeney to start. They would either play as a three with five in midfield and two up front, or if he decides to play bowman up front on his own I expect atangana, Collins, Taylor , law and Williams to be a midfield five with either sparkes or Richardson or Dickerson playing on the left of defence making a 451 formation.

I might not have explained myself 100% clearly as I can't come up with a definitive favourite starting eleven, but at no point did I suggest we should be playing six in midfield. We are going to have to be flexible and will need probably at least three or four contributions from the bench to help us win.

denzel

Having watched the semis we are going to need someone to deal with Devon born Callum Morton as he looked a real handful.
I didnt realise he was born in Torquay and joined Yeovil until I checked just now. How did he slip under our radar? Anyway, I'd put Aaron on him to sort him out.

IndoMike

Matt may surprise me, but I expect Martin, Moxey and Sweeney to start. They would either play as a three with five in midfield and two up front, or if he decides to play bowman up front on his own I expect atangana, Collins, Taylor , law and Williams to be a midfield five with either sparkes or Richardson or Dickerson playing on the left of defence making a 451 formation.

I might not have explained myself 100% clearly as I can't come up with a definitive favourite starting eleven, but at no point did I suggest we should be playing six in midfield. We are going to have to be flexible and will need probably at least three or four contributions from the bench to help us win.
No matter what team you pick, Harris will say you have six in midfield and then he'll go on about it for the next year. 🙄🙄😉
Good luck with that 😆

grecIAN Harris

Which would mean Law playing wide on the left which is an absolute waste of a player. Given the way he influences the game from his usual position, the attacking part of the three central midfielders, that won't be happening. As I said to you in the original response, the only way Bowman is playing up front on his own is if he plays four at the back (or he decides to play with Lee Martin 'up front' at which point might aswell be playing up front on his own). I don't see Taylor changing his shape. The only questions to be answered are who plays on the left, who makes up the pairing behind Law and who partners Bowman up front.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I expect Fish to partner Bowman, for two reasons: 1) It worked well for us in the last game and 2) the extra physicality it brings against a ‘big’ Northampton team.

I think it’s also important not to forget how crucial the subs will be. A strong bench may be the difference for us.

grecIAN Harris

That says to me Law in behind a front two of Bowman and Fisher (unless Ajose is fit) with either Sparkes or Dickenson on the left. For me, with that in mind, I'd go Collins and Atangana in the middle as their better on the ball than Taylor.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Which would mean Law playing wide on the left which is an absolute waste of a player. Given the way he influences the game from his usual position, the attacking part of the three central midfielders, that won't be happening. As I said to you in the original response, the only way Bowman is playing up front on his own is if he plays four at the back (or he decides to play with Lee Martin 'up front' at which point might aswell be playing up front on his own). I don't see Taylor changing his shape. The only questions to be answered are who plays on the left, who makes up the pairing behind Law and who partners Bowman up front.
I'm not even sure why you think there is a disagreement. apologies if anything I posted gave you the impression I was suggesting six in midfield. If we played a 451 it would only work well if we got hold of the ball and got bodies forwards to help Bowman. I do like two up front as long as those forwards are prepared to work hard whenever the opposition starts to dominate possession.

I am glad that we have someone like Matt Taylor in charge who is generally positive about the way he sets a team up, and that we have scope to change things or just freshen things up in the event we don't coast to victory.

arthur

If we played a 451 it would only work well if we got hold of the ball and got bodies forwards to help Bowman.
Which is virtually 4 3 3 (4 2 4 if you include an advanced Law as well)

and which I'd like to see