• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wembley?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I didn't say we shouldn't play two up front, I have no idea what team will start. My question was does fisher start with bowman, or do we play a different striker with bowman , or do we put an extra body in midfield. If say atangana, Collins and Taylor all played it would be with law and Williams making up a five I expect and either sparkes Richardson or Dickerson would play left back to make a back four.
Putting an extra body to a five man midfield makes six, does it not? We've played with a five man midfield pretty much all season so it's not too hard to make that assumption.

grecIAN Harris

Because he has wanted the partnership to be mainly Bowman and Ajose. Obviously Ajose's fitness and form has impacted on that so he settled on Lee Martin (for good or ill 😉). Nicky definitely has a big season coming up to define his City career.

Whilst Bowman and Fisher might not seem the ideal partnership they are different enough to be effective. Fisher might be 6'3 but he isn't a regulation target man. Monday was actually the best I have seen him hold the ball up. He is good with the ball at his feet though and gets in the area. Bowman is quick enough and strong and more up for a physical battle. He can also run in behind and both can work the channels well.

Bearing in mind fitness doubts over Ajose and Martin, it really leaves a choice of Fisher and Seymour to play if you want two out and out strikers. MJ is not an out and out striker and benefits more from having two in front of him, likewise Law.

Although there might be more natural partnerships, Flack and Canham they definitely ain't.
Too much logic and watching games and not enough statistical analysis there for Indo to find any kind of reasoning in.

IndoMike

Too much logic and watching games and not enough statistical analysis there for Indo to find any kind of reasoning in.
You are becoming a total bore. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop distorting my comments. Go off and bore someone else

grecIAN Harris

You are becoming a total bore. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop distorting my comments. Go off and bore someone else
Like you have mine in the past. Not so much fun when you're on the other end? Stop flouncing like a big girls blouse, take it on the chin and man up a bit

IndoMike

Like you have mine in the past. Not so much fun when you're on the other end? Stop flouncing like a big girls blouse, take it on the chin and man up a bit
Yawn

Ash

Funny after playing together for just one game in living memory many posters have suddenly decided that Bowman-Fisher is our best attacking threat. That's what you call a knee-jerk reaction.
Not really, Bowman on his own often looks isolated and anyone played up too with him this season hasn't exactly made a claim to play permanently. It's only one game, why not go for the man in form / what worked last time?

Grecianpasty

Martin the man to start up top with Bowman Monday. Picked up any extra training session early on in the week.

IndoMike

Martin the man to start up top with Bowman Monday. Picked up any extra training session early on in the week.
I think that's going to happen. Wembley is spacious and Lee Martin can get around the park. However he lacks match fitness, so would have to be replaced at some stage. Northampton will be expecting Bowman-Fisher, so it might surprise them.
But, I think it was Andrew Long who pointed out that Fisher- Bowman played well v Northampton when we beat them at home , so it could be them.

Exehausted

I think that's going to happen. Wembley is spacious and Lee Martin can get around the park. However he lacks match fitness, so would have to be replaced at some stage. Northampton will be expecting Bowman-Fisher, so it might surprise them.
But, I think it was Andrew Long who pointed out that Fisher- Bowman played well v Northampton when we beat them at home , so it could be them.
According to Wiki, Wembley is 115yards (105m) long and 75 yards (69m) wide. Our pitch is given as 114yards by 73 yards, so not much in it. I would keep the same 3-5-2 formation that we started with on Monday and really go for it from the off. My only line up change would be Sparkes in for Richardson. I know that a lot of people on here weren't impressed with Jack in the away leg, saying that he was leggy. After a tough game at Colchester and 5 or 6 good training sessions I would hope that his fitness will have improved. For me he is better defensively than Richardson and his crossing is the most accurate in the club. It's a risk, but if he struggles you could change them at half time.

IndoMike

According to Wiki, Wembley is 115yards (105m) long and 75 yards (69m) wide. Our pitch is given as 114yards by 73 yards, so not much in it. I would keep the same 3-5-2 formation that we started with on Monday and really go for it from the off. My only line up change would be Sparkes in for Richardson. I know that a lot of people on here weren't impressed with Jack in the away leg, saying that he was leggy. After a tough game at Colchester and 5 or 6 good training sessions I would hope that his fitness will have improved. For me he is better defensively than Richardson and his crossing is the most accurate in the club. It's a risk, but if he struggles you could change them at half time.
There are various arguments for picking this team or that one
There's the argument about not changing a winning team.
There's the argument that Richardson is not best suited to left back
Taylor or Atangana?
Bowman and Fisher or Bowman or Fisher + Lee Martin.

The good thing is that we have a lot of options. And there's also Sparkes, Dickenson, Matt Jay, Randall

Looks like it will be 3-5-2 ,anyway