• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wembley?

Ash

Thats because he is being played on the left hand side, when I have seen him on thre right side he is far more dangerous and very effective.
The argument shouldn't be Sparkes or Richardson, it should be Sparkes or Dickenson. Richardson might be useful off the bench with his pace, but a left pegger at left wing back please!

ChardGrecian

I think to beat them we need to press high and keep pressure on -how we played against Mk Dons and Plymouth - nullify Adams so he can’t put the dangerous crosses in the box. Would start with Jake and Archie giving option to Atangana with fresh legs later in the game. Got to use the 5 subs effectively depending on the status in the game. the whole squad will need to be a determined as they have proved they can be.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Playing well at Wembley is all about confidence and not letting the occasion get the better of you.
We should adopt a nothing to lose mentality.

STURTZ

I'd like to see City adopt a loose 4:4:2 formation for Wembley;

We improved on monday playing further forward and providing more support for our wide men, full backs could give more chance for Williams and Sparks to do what they do best, attack the defence and put in crosses. Admittedly this formation does not allow for two out and out strikers but I would expect our wingmen to move inside to support Bowman and to run the channels. Atangana as defensive midfield, Taylor and Law as forward midfielders. I also see the use of subs to be vital to keeping the team fresh.

My team would be (possible subs after the /)

Maxted
Sweeney/Richardson, Martin, Parkes, Moxey/Woodman

Atangana/Collins

Williams, Taylor, Law/Jay, Sparkes/Dickenson

Bowman

andrew p long

I like Sturtz idea, which I would express as a 4-2-3-1 Getting our key wide men further forward

maxted
Sweenz Martin Moxey Dickenson
Taylor (or Collins) Atangana
Williams Law Sparkes
bowman

Legohead

Banned
Anything that doesn't leave Bowman either isolated alone up top or having to spend most of the game coming deep to get involved.

If those two scenarios don't happen we will win the game regardless of personnel.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anything that doesn't leave Bowman either isolated alone up top or having to spend most of the game coming deep to get involved.

If those two scenarios don't happen we will win the game regardless of personnel.
Agreed. Like I’ve said previously, when Law is given a free role to get close to the penalty box regularly we generally seem to win. His movement is superb and it pulls defenders all over the place, which makes Bowman’s role a lot easier. Plus it will give Randall some extra space too.

If Law plays well and his this type of role, we’ll win IMO.

arthur

Agreed. Like I’ve said previously, when Law is given a free role to get close to the penalty box regularly we generally seem to win. His movement is superb and it pulls defenders all over the place, which makes Bowman’s role a lot easier. Plus it will give Randall some extra space too.

If Law plays well and his this type of role, we’ll win IMO.
Yes. Law is a number 10 and should be played in that advanced midfield position,where similarly Harley and Challinor were at their most effective. But too often all three of these are/were asked to fill in on the left side of midfield.

So if we start with Law here and at the same time want Bowman not to be on his own and have two rocks in front of the defence, that would suggest:

Keeper (to be endlessly debated)

Sweeney/Richardson Martin Moxey/Parks Dickenson/Sparkes

Collins Antagana

Law

Bowman Fisher/Seymour, that leaves only one place left to fill.

So I'd go 4 3 3:

Back four as above, full backs to get forward and provide crosses as Tully and Woodman did perfectly well

Midfield: Collins Law Antagana

Front: Williams Bowman Seymour

Ash

Maxted (only just, based on my opinion of their current confidence levels)
Sweenz Martin Moxey
Williams (RWB) Dickensen (LWB)
Collins Atangana
Law (CAM)
Bowman Fisher

I never would have picked the two big men up top together before the last game but it worked well and I thought the Fish was a decent outlet and looked a threat throughout the first half.
I also believe that we would not be significantly weakened if we played Ward instead of Maxted, Taylor in place of either Archie or big Nige, Sparkes instead of Dickenson, Parkes instead of Moxey, or Jay in place of Fisher. Add to that the likes of Richardson, Seymour, Randall, Ajose and Lee Martin off the bench and we look pretty strong all over the park. Gotta feel confident, certainly more so than before our recent visits. UTC

Last edited:

Ash

Yes. Law is a number 10 and should be played in that advanced midfield position,where similarly Harley and Challinor were at their most effective. But too often all three of these are/were asked to fill in on the left side of midfield.

So if we start with Law here and at the same time want Bowman not to be on his own and have two rocks in front of the defence, that would suggest:

Keeper (to be endlessly debated)

Sweeney/Richardson Martin Moxey/Parks Dickenson/Sparkes

Collins Antagana

Law

Bowman Fisher/Seymour, that leaves only one place left to fill.

So I'd go 4 3 3:

Back four as above, full backs to get forward and provide crosses as Tully and Woodman did perfectly well

Midfield: Collins Law Antagana

Front: Williams Bowman Seymour
Back 4 as above? You only picked one definite, the other three were all 1 from 2. Make some decisions man!