• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Exehausted

I'm not belittling any of the players you mention but we have to look forward, Back in the day, Players came back because we were a Div 4/3/L2 (Delete as apropriate) not going anywhere but i think nowadays we are more well run and if we have any chance of going up and say consolidating in L1, The players we need are ones that can help up, Not ones who we had when they were younger, Applied their trade elsewhere and come back in their 30's. I just think when looking for players, Look further than released players who've played for us in the past that's all. Of course there are execptions like Jamie Cureton but he was class, Even in his 30's, Those players are very rare at our level.
I agree, I don't want us to sign any old players actually, well no one over 28 preferably, but all managers seem to want to sign experienced (older) players. Of the older players that we signed this season, Warren, Parkes and big Nige I would say Gary was not money well spent. I had hoped that Hartridge would have been give that slot because I thought he was ready, but Matt didn't. If John is right and we can't sign any new players and we let 5 or 6 go it will give our younger players the biggest chance in one season for many years. I'm all for that.

And technically, Steve Tully had a much better second spell with us. We have had loads. TA-H, Scrat, Gilly, Billy Jones, Paul Jones etc...
Goodness, I knew my memory was poor, but I didn't realise it was that poor!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jack Stacey currently on MotD. Bournmouth two down against Palace though.

DB9

Jack Stacey currently on MotD. Bournmouth two down against Palace though.
And looking as shaky as Norwich

grecIAN Harris

And looking as shaky as Norwich
It's like watching City under Tis on a bad day, lots of possession but absolutely no penetration whatsoever.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Surprised no one mentioned It on here yesterday but it was the fourth anniversary of the passing of former player/coach/manager Eamonn Dolan. A great lad and servant of our club at a desperate time.🙏☹

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Scot Bennett has been released by Newport County.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Aaron Dawson joins Tiverton Town.

Number13

Scot Bennett has been released by Newport County.
Thought he was doing ok there?

andrew p long

Thought he was doing ok there?
Yes, but it’s the Covid consequences. Newport like all league two clubs have no income. They can’t afford to renew the contracts of senior players at pre Covid levels. So release them and there will be plenty of good players released available at wages well below what they were paid last season. And I expect there will be a few who end up subsequently returning to the club that released them, but at much reduced wages.

jimbo-gould

Kane Wilson released by WBA. Would have him here given the choice.