• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Weighted PPG and play-offs for League 2?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tranmere sound a bit desperate. They're in the relegation zone so tough luck.
The media may love the Palioses but the truth is that Tranmere have been losing money steadily since they took over and they also signed six players, 4 on loan, in the January transfer window in an attempt to stay in League 1. It sounds like relegation may hit them quite hard financially.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would hope we are following the same pattern. Would be ludicrous if we start later
Just as you thought it couldn't get any more shambolic. According to Ian Dennis at the BBC, clubs were supposed to receive recommendations from the EFL today, Tuesday, ahead of a board meeting, tomorrow, Wednesday and a final decision next week. It would have been nice if those recommendations had been made public but one can only assume the 4 clubs involved have been told that the EFL still want the play-offs to go ahead and, it at all possible, to finish before the end of June. Based on that Cheltenham and Northampton appear to have decided to gamble and try and to get a competitive advantage by spending money on testing and unfurloughing their players before it has been 100% confirmed when and if the play-offs will take place. By contrast Colchester and us appear not to want to spend money yet on something that may not happen.
Of course, I may have got all this completely wrong but given the lack of information coming out of the EFL all we can do is speculate about what is going on.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very prophetic ramone ( post #250). The only thing you forgot is the news headline in a few years time announcing that England are unable to put together enough English born players to make up their Euro and World Cup squads , the Premiershite then being made up of 99.9 % foreign players after grass roots football has been destroyed right down to the under eights Saturday friendly league teams.
On another note , I wonder which club will be the first to make a challenge in the courts against this EFL made up as they go along mish mash?
Like Rosencranz too I still can’t get my head round us and the other three ‘ promotion’ candidates going willingly like lambs to the slaughter to pay out big sums to perform in a lottery especially when the top three clubs get free tickets at no cost based on ‘results’ that could have changed in a fortnight.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Here's a radical idea ...

There are only a few games left to play with that in mind how about the season gets put on hold until its safe enough for players to be able to finish the season remaining games off behind closed doors.

Use those remaining games as pre season games and finish the season off , Ok it means there may not be as big a break for players before the next season starts but lets face it they have had enough time off work doing very little and its not like they can go on holiday anywhere ?

Oldsmobile-88

Just as you thought it couldn't get any more shambolic. According to Ian Dennis at the BBC, clubs were supposed to receive recommendations from the EFL today, Tuesday, ahead of a board meeting, tomorrow, Wednesday and a final decision next week. It would have been nice if those recommendations had been made public but one can only assume the 4 clubs involved have been told that the EFL still want the play-offs to go ahead and, it at all possible, to finish before the end of June. Based on that Cheltenham and Northampton appear to have decided to gamble and try and to get a competitive advantage by spending money on testing and unfurloughing their players before it has been 100% confirmed when and if the play-offs will take place. By contrast Colchester and us appear not to want to spend money yet on something that may not happen.
Of course, I may have got all this completely wrong but given the lack of information coming out of the EFL all we can do is speculate about what is going on.
I thought exactly the same.

Just to add something else into the mix,I wonder what the players(at all clubs involved)thoughts are on the on going play off saga ?

Taggy mentioned(in the video meeting)that the PFA seem to have different ideas on going ahead with games than a few of its members.

ryancooper327

9/24 clubs have released their retained lists, you could argue these players will have nothing to play for/everything to play for to sell themselves to prospective teams but surely there will be a question of integrity? I think the decision to end the season has clearly been made but not publicised. The only argument is play off/relegation (although one play off team has already released their retained list!), no more L2 outside of this will be played.

geoffwp

I just cannot believe this situation is still ongoing. As far as I'm concerned the season is dead and has been since covid exploded into our lives. I'm definitely not a person with a naturally negative outlook but TBH I can't see things being any better by next autumn. There are far too many out there willing to take risks as well as many who don't even believe there is a risk at all, so I'm expecting a second spike that will put us back to square one. The days of crowds at football are over for quite some time and the damage to the football league will be quite catastrophic. However, football won't be dead regardless. It will still be played and still be very much in our minds. The grounds arent going anywhere either even if the players do, and the club along with others can survive and start again, but I think the format may well look very different to how it was looking. I just hope some good will come of it all with the game generally cutting its cloth to suit it's purse.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Football will survive.

Rugby may never restart, at least not as it's currently played with scrums and mauls.

Spoonz Red E

Football will survive.

Rugby may never restart, at least not as it's currently played with scrums and mauls.
A group of lads in a Warwickshire public school have just been playing rugby.
Due to Covid, one of the lads, Bill Ellis, is refusing to handle the ball or take part in scrums and is just kicking the ball down the field.
The groundsman has just strung a net between the posts because everyone is fed up of running yards to retrieve the ball.
They think this new version of the game could catch on - it just needs a name.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
A group of lads in a Warwickshire public school have just been playing rugby.
Due to Covid, one of the lads, Bill Ellis, is refusing to handle the ball or take part in scrums and is just kicking the ball down the field.
The groundsman has just strung a net between the posts because everyone is fed up of running yards to retrieve the ball.
They think this new version of the game could catch on - it just needs a name.
(tick) You're so sharp you'll cut yourself. :)

The French version will have someone to pick the ball out of the net. He'll be call De Gaulle keeper.