• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryancooper327

Sad news from L2.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad news from L2.

Apparently a sudden death at his home. So sad and gone way too soon

• Sad
Reactions: DB9

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Further disciplinary action being taken against Macclesfield. Could they get relegated instead of Stevenage?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Further disciplinary action being taken against Macclesfield. Could they get relegated instead of Stevenage?
Honestly, Phil Wallace will stop at nothing.
It would be an utter disgrace to relegate Macc retrospectively

Any further points deduction should apply next season.

benjisheps

Honestly, Phil Wallace will stop at nothing.
It would be an utter disgrace to relegate Macc retrospectively

Any further points deduction should apply next season.
I think this is a difficult situation for the EFL. With Bury being allowed to get promoted last year, when apparently all the clubs knew they were paying way over the odds for players and were about to be in financial ruin (basically taking the p**s) it left many clubs angered and to be honest rightly so. Especially if you were Mansfield.

The EFL can't allow a situation like that to happen again (obviously at the different end of the table this time) whereby they relegate Stevenage and allow Macclesfield to stay up and then next season rolls around and they basically continue to not pay their players and go bust.

I'm not saying Stevenage deserve to stay up as they have been poor this year and I think you have to commend the Macclesfield players and staff for how they have performed given all that they have gone through. However; I think you have to understand the EFL thinking here and for how long do you allow a club to continue to not pay its players for month after month.

Boyo

Macclesfield's PPG is 0.97 compared to Stevengage's 0.61. In terms of total points therefore Macclesfield would finish on 46.6 points whilst Stevenage would finish on 28.1 points a difference of 18.5 points. To relegate Macclesfield therefore, a total of 19 points would need to be deducted for the various breaches of the rules.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The ever-wonderful David Gribble has put together an article looking at the financial position of many of our League 2 rivals and it’s just shows what a good job we’re doing to even be competitive at the top end of League 2

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Potential L2 Southend United have been with a fine and a suspended points deduction

Last edited:

jimmy

Does anyone else feel a tad sorry for Sol Campbell? Or is it just me? With Macclesfield and Southend he has inherited clubs with 'unmanageable' off field issues.

When he was rumoured to be in the mix for the City job a couple of years ago, I was intrigued. He appears knowledgeable, experienced and calm. He was a class act when his very determined went down to a late Bowman shinner on the opening day of the season. He then gathered many points with a completely written off side, and appeared to have no other choice but to leave due to the farce.

I don't want to open up a discussion on institutional racism in football. I just want to say that I think Sol has the pedigree and potential to be a top manager, yet he is having to ply his trade right at the bottom of the bottom (lowly insecure clubs).

By the way, I am happy we took a punt on MT. (y)

StudentGrecian

Does anyone else feel a tad sorry for Sol Campbell? Or is it just me? With Macclesfield and Southend he has inherited clubs with 'unmanageable' off field issues.

When he was rumoured to be in the mix for the City job a couple of years ago, I was intrigued. He appears knowledgeable, experienced and calm. He was a class act when his very determined went down to a late Bowman shinner on the opening day of the season. He then gathered many points with a completely written off side, and appeared to have no other choice but to leave due to the farce.

I don't want to open up a discussion on institutional racism in football. I just want to say that I think Sol has the pedigree and potential to be a top manager, yet he is having to ply his trade right at the bottom of the bottom (lowly insecure clubs).

By the way, I am happy we took a punt on MT. (y)
I think he would have had more of a chance at getting a job higher up the pyramid if he didn’t end his career with the whole Notts County debacle. Players who drop down the divisions don’t generally get big jobs, and it made Sol a bit of a laughing stock at the time. Might have been better suited to end on high with Arsenal and go into their coaching staff. Plus he had a lot to say in the press about how he is one of the best brains in football, which can be off putting.

I like the way he has gone about proving it though, many top pros think it should be on a plate for them. Credit to Sol for taking on the tough jobs, I don’t think he will have trouble finding another, more stable, league club when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.