• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
True, but nothing will reunite the Tories quicker than everyone else coming together to attack them, when in the minority. They should let the Tories continue to RIP themselves apart under pressure from constituents with the daily probe from Starmer.
Indeed.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed but the Tories are attaching themslevs with 20 MPs calling for DP to resign with the Uber Tory rag the Daily Mail also on the rampage,
That was today. If tomorrow, a great convening of everyone who isn't Tory takes place, the wagons will be encircled.
DC isn't going to be forced out by process, whatever wheeze the collective opposition come up with. It will be by internal pressure, if at all.

Rosencrantz

That was today. If tomorrow, a great convening of everyone who isn't Tory takes place, the wagons will be encircled.
DC isn't going to be forced out by process, whatever wheeze the collective opposition come up with. It will be by internal pressure, if at all.
Possibly what the meeting will be about. A cool hand from Starmer telling Blackford to rein back.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Possibly what the meeting will be about. A cool hand from Starmer telling Blackford to rein back.
Yes, hopefully. Blackford should concentrate on finding out why the death rate is higher and testing rate is lower Scotland than the UK overall, when the SNP, not the 'incompetent Tories', are in charge of health and lockdown north of Berwick.

Rosencrantz

Yes, hopefully. Blackford should concentrate on finding out why the death rate is higher and testing rate is lower Scotland than the UK overall, when the SNP, not the 'incompetent Tories', are in charge of health and lockdown north of Berwick.
It's very much who is asking the questions. Blackford is generally detested on the Tory back benches (and in general!) which will not help. Questioning this is really a case of shooting fish in a barrel there are so many holes in the defence. Leave it to the QC.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting to see how Starmer will play this. Whilst Cummings has seemingly had a hand in some electoral success recently, I'm not convinced he is God's gift to electioneering, particularly in a GE with a lot fewer open goals. Starmer may decide that Cummings does more damage by staying in post than by falling on his sword. The challenge then of course is to make sure the electorate remember this in 4 years' time. A much bigger challenge given how notoriously short the public memory is.

On the other hand, Johnson clearly feels he can't operate without Cummings, otherwise the latter would be long gone by now. I'm unsure whether that says more about Cummings' qualities or Johnson's failings.

elginCity

This is all.becoming so Trumpish.......
Better enjoy democracy in the UK whilst it still exists. After Brexit, freed from the EU, things could get bad.
Nailed it, indo. Just as in the US....the tribalism blinkers are on, the populist 'truth-twisters' reign supreme. Johnson, his judgement and endorsements, are not being called into question by those who support him, there is a total blind trust, apologists abound.

"You MUST stay at home" is forgotten, "Stay alert" everybody.

IndoMike

Not a good time for me to react at 3.35 a.m in the morning, Rosey.
But agreed, he knocked the nail on the head, as usual, although I thought once or twice he was struggling a little bit.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nailed it, indo. Just as in the US....the tribalism blinkers are on, the populist 'truth-twisters' reign supreme. Johnson, his judgement and endorsements, are not being called into question by those who support him, there is a total blind trust, apologists abound.

"You MUST stay at home" is forgotten, "Stay alert" everybody.
The sycophants are one thing - that's par for the course - but the sheer number of Conservatives MPs, supporters and the Daily Mail criticising this implies to me that it is not just a partisan issue. Hell, even Julia Hartley-Brewer says he should resign. I wondered whether they would all u-turn following the announcement yesterday - I suspect it was aimed at giving those sorts the opportunity to - but so far I've not seen anyone that has.

IndoMike

I can see that the criticisms of Cummings are starting to become toned down slightly.
I don't think the anti Cummings protests have the legs, partly because there is no actual way to oust him and also because Johnson knows he doesn't have a clue how to run a Govt without Cummings.
I was listening to a bishop this morning on Radio 4 and you could feel that he was pulling back from the fray a bit : not so stringent as he was with his tweet yesterday.
It will fizzle out, unfortunately. But this incident has weakened Johnson somewhat and is a reminder to him that the public can fight back if they need to. It's a warning shot across the bows.