• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why is the Supporters Trust Silent?

C j phill

Ed has presented his view of the Trust Board's consideration of gambling sponsorship.

As is often the case, there is an alternative view. I was a Trust Board member between 2018 and 2019 and this is mine.

The Trust Board, at its meeting of 10th December 2018, discussed the issue of sponsorship from gambling companies at some length. This was after we were made aware that the Commercial Team had accepted an offer of such sponsorship, which in real terms, was relatively small and provided a logo being included on team shorts. The Trust Board were told that the gambling company approached the Commercial Team with their offer, rather than the other way around. I don't recall anyone informing the Trust Board that the Commercial Team were “super chuffed" about the deal. If this was the case, it was certainly different to my understanding of how the initial deal came about. Interestingly, at around this time, from memory, the players had received a presentation of the personal problems that were attached to gambling, as a learning/awareness session from an external organisation.

The Trust Board discussion included the dilemma that by refusing such sponsorship, we would potentially place ourselves at a financial disadvantage, compared to other Clubs, but recognised the problems that gambling presented to individuals, and as a community focused organisation, with a large number of young supporters, were concerned about the effects of promoting gambling. Our resolution at that meeting was to accept the sponsorship, but to inform the Club that our default position was to oppose gambling sponsorship and advertising as a general rule but that any specific related matters that are considered by the Club Board should be brought to the Trust Board for consideration. We were attempting to seek a balance, with the option that if a substantial deal was brought to the Club, we would consider the ramifications and effect. From the minutes, it appears that Ed did not attend this meeting.

At the April 2019 Trust Board, attended by Ed according to the Minutes, the Trust policy on gambling was again discussed and agreed no change to our policy outlined at the December 2018 meeting.

The Trust Board meeting of August 2019, again attended by Ed according to the Minutes, were informed that the Commercial Team had found an alternative sponsor to the gambling company, with no loss of income but maintaining an approach consistent with the Trust Board's view.

Just because lots of other Clubs and national football organisations accept gambling sponsorship, in my view, if doesn't make it right. Even though we're a relatively small Club, with little influence in the world of football politics, I was pleased that the Trust Board took a principled stand, with the caveat of reviewing any future decision that may have a material financial impact on the Club.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thank you for setting this out.

No doubt that is why the Commercial team were "super chuffed" because they had thought they had attracted a sponsor without having to do any work. I mean that in the nicest way, not that they are lazy!

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't see Trust members as being 'more important' to the Club, just that they have 'more influence' on the Club, should they wish to exercise their rights.
When someone says being a trust member makes them more "Important" that just got my goat up, I'm even sure the Trust heirachy would never agree that statement either, A Trust member can influence policy, If they want to put themselves up for election or if they have a grievence/idea and gather support from a lot of other Trust members to be able to be listened to but still doesn't make them more important than others (Non-Members)

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
When someone says being a trust member makes them more "Important" that just got my goat up, I'm even sure the Trust heirachy would never agree that statement either, A Trust member can influence policy, If they want to put themselves up for election or if they have a grievence/idea and gather support from a lot of other Trust members to be able to be listened to but still doesn't make them more important than others (Non-Members)
But it does.
If youre elected to the Board, your ideas and values are acted upon and you have influence over the club direction. If youre just paying £20 quid to watch the game one week you have much less influence over the direction of the club. That LITERALLY means you are less important in the clubs perspective.

Would you argue that you and Boris Johnson are of equal importance? You both I guess pay taxes etc.

DB9

Ed has presented his view of the Trust Board's consideration of gambling sponsorship.

As is often the case, there is an alternative view. I was a Trust Board member between 2018 and 2019 and this is mine.

The Trust Board, at its meeting of 10th December 2018, discussed the issue of sponsorship from gambling companies at some length. This was after we were made aware that the Commercial Team had accepted an offer of such sponsorship, which in real terms, was relatively small and provided a logo being included on team shorts. The Trust Board were told that the gambling company approached the Commercial Team with their offer, rather than the other way around. I don't recall anyone informing the Trust Board that the Commercial Team were “super chuffed" about the deal. If this was the case, it was certainly different to my understanding of how the initial deal came about. Interestingly, at around this time, from memory, the players had received a presentation of the personal problems that were attached to gambling, as a learning/awareness session from an external organisation.

The Trust Board discussion included the dilemma that by refusing such sponsorship, we would potentially place ourselves at a financial disadvantage, compared to other Clubs, but recognised the problems that gambling presented to individuals, and as a community focused organisation, with a large number of young supporters, were concerned about the effects of promoting gambling. Our resolution at that meeting was to accept the sponsorship, but to inform the Club that our default position was to oppose gambling sponsorship and advertising as a general rule but that any specific related matters that are considered by the Club Board should be brought to the Trust Board for consideration. We were attempting to seek a balance, with the option that if a substantial deal was brought to the Club, we would consider the ramifications and effect. From the minutes, it appears that Ed did not attend this meeting.

At the April 2019 Trust Board, attended by Ed according to the Minutes, the Trust policy on gambling was again discussed and agreed no change to our policy outlined at the December 2018 meeting.

The Trust Board meeting of August 2019, again attended by Ed according to the Minutes, were informed that the Commercial Team had found an alternative sponsor to the gambling company, with no loss of income but maintaining an approach consistent with the Trust Board's view.

Just because lots of other Clubs and national football organisations accept gambling sponsorship, in my view, if doesn't make it right. Even though we're a relatively small Club, with little influence in the world of football politics, I was pleased that the Trust Board took a principled stand, with the caveat of reviewing any future decision that may have a material financial impact on the Club.
A good answer from someone else who was also there. CJ can i ask one thing? When this sponsorship came up and when the Trust view on betting sponsorship in general, Did anyone point out that Skybet are a major sponsor of the EFL so we have to have it emblazzened all over the stadium, kit etc some might think this is a bit hypocritical? i am genuinely interested to know, Thank you

DB9

But it does.
If youre elected to the Board, your ideas and values are acted upon and you have influence over the club direction. If youre just paying £20 quid to watch the game one week you have much less influence over the direction of the club. That LITERALLY means you are less important in the clubs perspective.

Would you argue that you and Boris Johnson are of equal importance? You both I guess pay taxes etc.
I may have influence becaue i ve been elected to a position that will shape the football club as a whole but as a fan, i would never considered myself more important than any other fan, That would stink of arrogance. Influence is not the same as importance. As for your Johnson comparison, its just the same, He's been elected to an office that will affect my life, He will have influence i will never have but just because he is there he is still a human being and i consider my life just as important as his.

Rosencrantz

Is true anyone can join the trust and thousands have a do. My main point was that people saying that all you have to do to bring about change is either A) Vote for candidates or B) via a resolution is flawed in that it will still be difficult in the current climate within the people who attend the meetings and interact with the trust.

I fully agree that the trust can only speak on behalf of its members .

I was actually thinking of a way that the trust could improve its dialogue with all supporters and Did start to do some fact finding before the RL stopped. The one idea I did have was a supporters club/groups meetings. The idea was more people will engage with a group they belong and interact with on a match day or at away games More then the trust. Each group/supporters club at city could then have a delegate who attends meeting with the trust/club and is able to ask questions from there members or propose ideas And the trust could do the same. The trust wouldn’t have to act on anything of course but it would help with communicating and the idea that we all want what’s best for the club.

I’d also add that my idea was for all groups at the club and not just the ones recognised by the club at the moment. I know they have Grecian groups meetings but think that is somewhat a closer shop.
Out of interest, what groups are not included in the Grecian Group meetings? As what you have described seems to be exactly what the Grecian Groups meetings are.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I may have influence becaue i ve been elected to a position that will shape the football club as a whole but as a fan, i would never considered myself more important than any other fan, That would stink of arrogance. Influence is not the same as importance. As for your Johnson comparison, its just the same, He's been elected to an office that will affect my life, He will have influence i will never have but just because he is there he is still a human being and i consider my life just as important as his.
Oh yes I'm sure when God or Jah or whoever you worship weighs your worth before the pearly gates he will find all men equal, but down here on earth there are pragmatic realities of life to deal with.

DB9

Oh yes I'm sure when God or Jah or whoever you worship weighs your worth before the pearly gates he will find all men equal, but down here on earth there are pragmatic realities of life to deal with.
Other than bringing in Johnson into this, The realities of this concerning ECFC, Would you like to ask people at the club if they think they are more important than non Trust members who are also fans? Not more influencial because being a Trust member does make you that because of the ownership model but more important because that was your exact word and i'd like to think they'd say no.

C j phill

A good answer from someone else who was also there. CJ can i ask one thing? When this sponsorship came up and when the Trust view on betting sponsorship in general, Did anyone point out that Skybet are a major sponsor of the EFL so we have to have it emblazzened all over the stadium, kit etc some might think this is a bit hypocritical? i am genuinely interested to know, Thank you
Yes, we recognised the dilemma and the discussion at the first meeting, which took some time, covered all of the conflicts that most people would be able to identify. We were talking about an issue where it was very difficult to reach a fully correct answer, hence our initial resolution.