• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

L2 Retained Lists

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
What effect will all this releasing of players have on the playoffs I wonder?
How many will we ourselves release?
Even assuming the playoffs even go ahead which I still doubt.

Rosencrantz

What effect will all this releasing of players have on the playoffs I wonder?
How many will we ourselves release?
Even assuming the playoffs even go ahead which I still doubt.
If the play offs don't get played before 30th June (or 31st July at a pinch) they won't get played at all I suspect. For us it will probably create uncertainty as I doubt we will announce the retained list until after they are played although of course Colchester already have done. It remains to see if that will have any effect on their selection or performance (they will be professional I would think despite knowing they are off but you never know).

Andy Holloway

Being released is always an uncertain time for lower division players, many scared that they'll have to drop in to non league on lower or part time wages, but now it must be extremely anxious knowing that you are out of a job, and unlikely to get another one in the short term. Many footballers have only ever played football and may not have the skill set required to earn good money doing other things.
Which is a very strong case for why our trainees should continue their education, or possibly even learn a trade, alongside their football for just this sort of event.
Only a very small number of ex pro footballers will even stay in football after their playing days are over, the large majority have to start looking for a second career around the age of 36/37 ish, when they still have over half their worknig life left in front of them.

ryancooper327

PORT VALE

Will Atkinson
Callum Evans
Kieran Kennedy
Ryan Lloyd
Johnny Maddison
Jordan Archer

Red Devon

Interesting reading my type of thread this 👍

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some very good players getting released across the league.

I think we'll be well placed next season given we've got promising youngsters (off the back of loan spells) waiting in the wings to replace out of contract players.

The academy will prove even more vital.

ryancooper327

I think we'll be well placed next season given we've got promising youngsters (off the back of loan spells) waiting in the wings to replace out of contract players.

The academy will prove even more vital.
Be interesting to see who is retained from the ‘youth’. I’m hoping all of them!

budegrecian

Be interesting to see who is retained from the ‘youth’. I’m hoping all of them!
In addition to those being retained, it will be interesting to see how many of the current U18's, who are coming to the end of their Academy days, will be offered professional deals.

Tim Long

Big players = big wages. Suspect some may be on a 'Danny Bailey' - released in June and re-signed in August or when things pick up again.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Big players = big wages. Suspect some may be on a 'Danny Bailey' - released in June and re-signed in August or when things pick up again.
Burton fans have been making a lot of fuss about the decision of Nigel Clough to resign as manager to save the club money. I wonder if the same scenario will happen and he will return as manager when the club finally have some matchday income.